Erin's Reviews > Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon

Harry, a History by Melissa Anelli

Jan 07, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2010

This was a really great read. I learned some new fun facts about the publication of Harry Potter and had a lot of "that's right; I had forgotten about that" moments. A nostalgic (for me since I participated) look back on all the randomness that constituted the Harry Potter fandom: shipping wars, midnight releases, fanfiction, wizard rock, and all the rest. And I imagine it would also be an interesting read from a sociological stand point if you have no idea what I'm talking about with fandom stuff.

As I read in another review, this book would be perfect for Harry Potter fans of all levels...as well as anyone who might be wondering what the big deal was all about.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry, a History.

12/07/2009 page 68
19.1% "Loving the combo of how HP got published and how the author got into the books. Making me nostalgic!"

message 1: by 2bnallegory (new) - added it

2bnallegory What kind of read is this book? It looks interesting.

Erin 2bnallegory wrote: "What kind of read is this book? It looks interesting."

I'm really enjoying it. I can really relate to all the fandom stuff that the author is talking about and a lot of the facts about how the HP books came to be published were new to me. The author goes back and forth between what was happening for Ms. Rowling and how the fans were reacting; really cool juxtaposition.

I highly recommend it if you are all interested in the topic...it's very well paced and you can tell the subject is something the author is really passionate about, which makes it a much faster (and more interesting) read.

message 3: by 2bnallegory (new) - added it

2bnallegory Shall keep an eye out for this, thanks.