Natalia's Reviews > Precious

Precious by Sapphire

Dec 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in December, 2009

I wish I could tell myself that this book is outlandishly over-exaggerated, but I know that it's not. I live in the St Louis, Missouri area and the city's public schools have imploded, lost their accreditation, and have been taken over by the state. There are kids that graduate barely able to read, for real. And it's not just kids in the city being left behind, either - children of meth addicts in rural Missouri are coming of age now soon, and are just as desperately underserved. Too many children everywhere get let down.

Sorry, getting off my soap box. Anyway, Precious really puts a face on the lives of kids who, for lack of a better phrase, "fall through the cracks." Sapphire captures her growing up and understanding what has happened to her with real warmth. There is a note of optimism, but always tempered with the knowledge that Precious still has a long fight ahead of her.

This is a short, fast book. A person could read it in half an afternoon. I think that small investment of time is more than worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Precious.

12/07/2009 page 105
75.54% "it jumped off the shelf at me in the bookstore. extremely fast, but heart-wrenching read so far."