Nichole (Dirty H)'s Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

May 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010, dystopian-fiction, 1001-books
Read from May 15 to 19, 2010

This book gets a star taken a way for two reasons:
1. The first half is dry, tedious and a little bit boring. Very necessary and extremely well written, but I was a little disappointed at first and thought I wasn't going to enjoy the book as much as I'd hoped.
2. I hated the end. Again, extremely well written and it ended exactly the way it was supposed to. And I don't really wish it had ended differently. But it's definitely not a book I will ever read again.

This is a book primarily about what it means to be human. What it's like to be alive. What it means to make the journey from childhood to adulthood.
I mentioned above that the beginning/first half of the book was tedious - much the way childhood can seem at the time. I remember how long a year seemed when I was a kid. The first 10 years of my life took longer than the last 18. I would never want to be a kid again for the sole reason that I don't ever want to endure anything that long and arduous again. But in retrospect, childhood is a golden, magical time full of possibilities and innocence and joys that will never fully disappear. And that is what this book captured, along with the trials of navigating adolescence, and the aching nostalgia that comes with adulthood. All wrapped up in a deeply but subtly disturbing dystopian story that will definitely satisfy fans of the genre, even without delving into any true science fiction.
Newsweek called this book "deceptively lovely" and that is exactly what it is. It starts out as a girl relating stories of her childhood and slowly sucks you under into something much more sinister but extremely powerful. Bittersweet, yes, but never bitter. This book is deceptively lovely.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

05/16/2010 page 146