Mary Ann's Reviews > Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Hanukkah: With Light, Latkes, and Dreidels

Holidays Around the World by Deborah Heiligman

Dec 07, 09

bookshelves: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, hanukkah, holidays, nonfiction, picture-books
Read in December, 2009

Heiligman has written an excellent series for National Geographic, exploring how many different holidays are celebrated around the world. In this volume, she begins with a simple, clear retelling of the Hanukkah story. But most of the book explores how Hanukkah is celebrated around the world, in places as such as Poland, South Korea, Uganda and Peru. The full-page photographs depict children and adults lighting candles, reciting prayer, and playing dreidels. I especially like how Heiligman uses "we" throughout - it provides the feeling of community and commonality. For example, next to a picture of a young boy in Uganda, Heiligman writes: "It is important to tell everyone about the miracle. We want to show everyone we are proud to be Jewish. We are glad that we are free to practice our religion." The text and photographs help us see that Jewish people around the world, living in many different countries, all celebrate the holiday in much the same way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Around the World.