Thom Dunn's Reviews > A Fan's Notes

A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley

M 50x66
"A Fan's Notes belongs to what is one of the major themes of American writing--the crack-up. The brilliance and power in Exley's handling of this theme and in his handling of alcoholism, sexual idealism and impotence, lie in his ability to seize what he himself calls the sadness of contemporary life...scenes of great power, black humor, wild satire and heartbreaking personal history." --Jack Kroll, Newsweek

Subtitled: A Fictional Memoir

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fan's Notes.

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Enough to convince me never, ever, to pick up a copy of this. What a horrifying view of life! If I'd thought that was the sort of thing that was likely to happen in my future, I'd probably have headed straight for the nearest remote hermitage. Fortunately, it wasn't...and anyway, I kinda did.

Thom Dunn Remote hermitage, you say ? Sounds intriguing.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie At first literally, but then I learned to find solitudes in crowded places. Doesn't always work, of course, but having once spentt a year in a
two-bedroom trailer with my parents and four brothers, I was forced to learn the art of 'internal exile'. It's stood me in good stead, betimes.

Thom Dunn I can't study in a library. Do better with lots of ambient, background noise. Grand Central Station would be a good model.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I can read quietly, or with background noise. The deteriminant factor is whether the background sound contains discernible informational content. This is one reason I don't care for vocal music. I'm too distractible. So I got a white noise generator for when I'm sleeping. It works for everything but rhythmic sounds (hammering, piledrivers, compressors...).