Katie's Reviews > Swoon

Swoon by Nina Malkin

Dec 07, 2009

did not like it
Read in December, 2009

I really, really wanted to like this book. And yet I couldn't. The characters were poorly developed and their personalities seemd to change depending on what the author wanted to happen in that scene, as opposed to what she had originally set their temperments to be. I nearly got whiplash trying to keep up with the flip-flop between their personalities. The "love interst" was completely unworthy of the title, as he is completely uninterested in anyone but himself until fifteen pages til the end, when his mission is complete and he remembers to ask Candice about herself. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure if he were a real person (don't even get me started on the Pinocchio references; if I had to read "he was becoming my real boy!" one more time, I was going to scream)he would have been a registered sex offender.

This book was just disappointing. At first I thought I was going to like Dice, but she kept whining about how she didn't fit in and had no friends, but ba-Bam! Smoke some pot and steal a car,and she has friends coming out of her ears! Pen was selfish, self-involved, and made such a u-turn from being a good turn to being a grade-A skank that I was seriously confused. All in all, this book is fluff. The author tries to make it more, and fails. If you don't want a difficult read, and don't get embarassed by scenes of public sexual encounters, then enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swoon.