Anthony Eaton's Reviews > The Dragon Keeper

The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

2196240
Dec 06, 09

Read in December, 2009

I heart Robin Hobb. I really do. This book sat on my bedside table for something in the order of two months before I actually read it, not because I was putting it off, but because I wanted to re-read her 'Liveship Traders' trilogy before embarking upon this, the most recent of her tales set in the Rain Wilds.

I'm so glad I did.

The Dragon Keeper is a brilliant book which is, like all Hobbs' works, almost perfectly plotted and constructed, and with beautifully polished writing throughout, but it's not a book which - I suspect - will stand particularly well on its own; the world of this book, its wider context, is so heavily reliant upon the very sophisticated social and political world that Hobb has so painstakingly built up across the nine books of the Assassin, Liveship, and Fool trilogies that accessing the world of the Rain Wilds without prior knowledge will be a challenge.

Not that it matters. The book is great.

Now all I have left to do is wait for the next book in this trilogy to get to the shelves. I really hope it's not too far away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Keeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jackie ten more days. Dragon's Haven is even better. And also The Inheritance, which I am reading now. Not a follow on, but a selection of short stories. The Dragon books are only two I am afraid, not a trilogy.