karen's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Dec 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: kiddiwinx, why-yes-i-ya

so this is how superweak my life is: on friday i rushed home from work in the rain to get some homework done. whee... but then i ended up writing that wuthering heights review, inspired by the rain and the clouds etc. and i did some work, but not a ton. and i thought to myself, what do i really want to be doing? and the answer was - put on my pajamas, eat peanut butter pretzels and read unchallenging children's books. so i did. and you can all suck it, with your parties and balls and galas. 'cuz i had myself a nice time.

i didn't like it as much as the hunger games; which is teen fiction, not juvie, so maybe i'm not as developmentally stunted as i thought. look, i'm growing up before your eyes! she has a real knack for pacing, which is way more important in children's literature than adult, just because of attention-span, particularly now, when the options for children are increasingly electronic and faster-paced - a book really has to capture the imagination in order to hold a child's attention, and i think this does a good job of that. i also appreciate her very low emphasis on sentimentality. it is less pronounced than in the hunger games, because of the younger audience, but it's an adventure book, life's hard, things die. and i think that's a good element in children's literature; her lack of prettifying realities. i will probably read the other books in the series, providing my social life doesn't improve, but i don't feel the same urgency to read them that i do for the teen series. it may be the subject matter/younger audience thing, or the lack of a true "cliffhanger" at the end of the book,but i probably will get to them. it was enjoyable, and if you have children, you should probably pick these up and pretend you are reading them together because your kids enjoy them.

and now i can give greg back his copy, and that gets one more book out of my house. which means there's room for one more book, basically. this is how the problem exacerbates...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.

Greg I might be getting one more book back, but I'll be giving you the second book in this series today, so you'll still have just as many books in your house.

karen this is why everyone hates math.

message 3: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Dec 06, 2009 08:55AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio On Friday night I loosened my ascot and sorted through the cardboard boxed debris of my life. I drank some iced tea and ate cheese and crackers afterwards. It was off the chain, ya'll!

karen carpe diem!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Christian side hug the day!

Greg I'm missing out on the crazy side of life having to close every Friday night.

karen no doubt. picture it - they put peanut butter inside of the pretzels. its like a major breakthrough.

message 8: by Kasia (new)

Kasia karen wrote: "this is why everyone hates math."

For the record, I love math.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio karen wrote: "no doubt. picture it - they put peanut butter inside of the pretzels. its like a major breakthrough."

Oh! Those are soooo good. They kept a giant tub of them around the office at my old job. I'm getting fat and happy just thinking about it.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Oh! I just read this, too. I had some similar reactions and now will feel like I'm stealing from your review. Thanks a lot, Karen!

karen RandomAnthony wrote: "Oh! I just read this, too. I had some similar reactions and now will feel like I'm stealing from your review. Thanks a lot, Karen!

cut and paste, my friend...

i'm glad kasia loves math. we will hold on to her when goodreads.com becomes its own country and she will make our bridges.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I hate math.

karen ha! greg forgot the book today, so i'm still down one book! take that, math!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio karen wrote: "ha! greg forgot the book today, so i'm still down one book! take that, math!"

Whoa, whoa, slow down, math geek. So take 1 away...don't add 1...

karen i have one book-sized hole available in my apartment.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sounds like my kind of friday night. XXD

karen i would love to be doing it again tonight, but this friday is a work-friday. too bad.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Aww man!

Eh?Eh! she has a real knack for pacing

I think this, too, after reading the Hunger Games trilogy, and I think it was an independent thought! Unless I tucked it away all these months since I read this review and somehow it unfolded in disguise.

karen haahahha i want to take credit for all your thoughts!!

Eh?Eh! I don't want another witch hunt! You've been credited!

karen what are you thinking riiiiight now?

Eh?Eh! I'm thinking it's time for cake, but I'm also sleepy so it would be nice if I could dream about cake.

karen that's what i wanted you to be thinking!!

Eh?Eh! All right! We're like twins connected at the head, psychically...creepy. Now I'm thinking I wish I hadn't eaten all that lettuce, celery, broccoli, and green beans this morning to clean out my fridge. Healthy, but nothing gets you to lunch like a stick of butter (in the form of a flaky pastry).

karen but now you have a clean fridge with more room for cake!

Deedles Well, if you like mangos everything will be great.

karen fact.

message 29: by Linnie (new)

Linnie That's why Hunger Games is better