Carla's Reviews > The Birth House

The Birth House by Ami McKay

Dec 06, 09

Read in December, 2009

Interesting read. As the author intended, I really hated the doctor character. Particularly when he explained that morning sickness is a compulsion caused by the woman's desire to have her husband's attention. So much of medicine and society was explained by the mental instability of women. It's a miracle men saw fit to allow them to raise their children at all.

There was a feeling of the author trying to stuff every possible scenario into the story. She meets some women's rights fighters, and there are lesbians, and her family pushes her into a marriage of convenience- which works out horribly (gasp), most men are penis driven jerks. Perhaps we can learn a little wisdom from the women in the whore house?

What I wanted from this book didn't really deliver. Way too few birth stories, I would have appreciated even just a quick paragraph numbering how many babies she had caught in training and then on her own. Would have lent a little credibility to the main character's perspective. As it was, it felt like she spent 90% of the book saying, I'm not really a midwife, I just help my friends when I am available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birth House.