Kieran Walsh's Reviews > Admission

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Dec 06, 09

Read in December, 2009

Just finished reading Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz and am trying to think of something that I'm sure isn't covered by other critics. I give her full marks for putting a fictional slant on something that's probably of immense significance to many parents and students. The fact that Korelitz had actually worked as an admissions professional was evident in the research. I think from that practical style its a must read for Ivy League bound students (and their parents). I'm still unsure about Portia's character. Even though the latter 100 pages gives the final insight into her DNA I still can't say I actually warmed to her. She had a detached persona from the beginning. All that said, her final act was just true selflessness - and that will be her saving grace in the long run.
I enjoyed the end because it wasn't cute and 'happy ever after'. For a long book she definitely got to round things up fast........However, this might be the minus. It was a long book......a very long book (not in a physical sence, mind you!)She spent so long talking about her mother and the ex boyfriend. I think Jeremiah (even Simone and/or Deborah) could have been developed further using up all that page real estate. For things to swing into place you had to get through 350 (approx) pages. 'Dense' is probably the best way to describe this one.
All in all, well worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Admission.