Vicky's Reviews > Endless Things

F 50x66
Dec 06, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction

A sad disappointment after the first three books in the Aegypt cycle, which were marvelous though exasperating. This one is just exasperating. Crowley seems to be spinning his wheels here; he gives up on plot and character development and substitutes philosophical rumination and episodic fantasy. Characters we have come to love in the first three books barely appear in this one, and new ones are introduced that we don't have time to get interested in. That's what I find hardest to forgive, because I wanted so much to hear more about Rosie and Sam and Brent and Beau and even that idiotic twit Rose Ryder, but instead we get Roo and Vita and Mary and host of new peripherals,ancient and modern, "real" and imaginary.

Crowley seems to know he has written a bad book, because he tells us his fellow craftsman, Fellowes Kraft, is writing an equally bad one, and it is bad in exactly the same ways Endless Things is bad. But somehow this rueful joke doesn't help much. There were some lovely moments toward the end of the novel, but in general it was just plain tedious -- endless things, indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endless Things.