Mary Beth's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Mar 05, 11

Read from February 10 to March 05, 2011

This tale of an alternate Seattle, besieged by zombies(called Rotters), a mad scientist, and survivors(Doornails, as in "dead as a....") of a catastrophe orchestrated by the eponymous machine, is a fun read for the most part. I see that it is the first of a series(what is up with all of these dang series?), so maybe that explains why a lot of my questions went unanswered. It might also explain the rather quick ending, which felt sorta lazy; a bit more tidying up of loose ends would have been nice. As such, I doubt I will seek out the next chapters of this story.

A final word in regards to the "Author's Note" at the back of the book. I understand that Ms. Priest might be the recipient of a load of unsolicited helpful emails "correcting" the fictions that she created for her book, but I do think it a bit peevish to complain about it or try to head them off with her note. She created an interesting and compelling fictional world; she has nothing to apologize for or explain. But I do feel that she should accept her emails with grace. It is part of the job. The disclaimer at the start of the book("This is a work of fiction...") should suffice. (The only reason I bring this up is that it left me with a sour feeling about the book. Sort of a bum note with which to end.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.