Derek Perumean's Reviews > Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Notes of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski

Jan 28, 10

I worked at a bookstore that had shelf talkers; small reviews of books we'd recommend. I can remember thinking I'd like to have a "shit talker" for some books so people would NOT buy them. This is my attempt at a shit talker for this book. This book was so bad I had to leave its rating at zero stars. I am amazed that anyone would rave about this book or anything else by this guy.

His ramblings about his deplorable life and circumstances are so pathetic that some sound as if they're forced and complete bullshit. One can only wish that he'd never put pen to paper or at the very least died earlier in life. The sort of "intellectual" who would mock the hoi polloi and fans of Jerry
Springer, yet read this barren and mediocre writer is a true hypocrite.

He lacks any skill or vision; indeed, he's myopic. His boredom with life is apparent and, in turn, he bores the reader since he writes of nothing of any value. The only voice he articultes is the belch from a cirrhotic bum who only wants to beg for money. But with the way I was raised begging is considered a crime. As should be reading this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes of a Dirty Old Man.