Becky's Reviews > The Art of Mending

The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg

Dec 07, 09

Read in December, 2009

This is my favorite character of Berg's so far. All of her characters have a kind of blunt, raw honesty about them - unlike other written characters they have flaws that people would be embarrassed to admit to, they are weak and judgmental, and prejudiced, and while it makes you wince sometimes or maybe not love the character Berg creates, you have to admire the creation. This character felt more like me, so I enjoyed the story more.

Laura's sister Caroline is a overly-dramatic, sad, woe-is-me kind of a person (the kind of person I have no patience for). She has decided, at age 40 something, to air out some dirty laundry of which neither of the other siblings (Laura & Steve) had any idea about.

The idea is not a new one, but I did very much enjoy the writing and Berg has lots of excellent thoughts throughout. For example, at one time Laura remembers her son saying to her something like: "If you knew everything about just one thing, wouldn't you know everything about everything, since everything is a part of everything else? You'd be like God".

Lovely writing and very bluntly honest characters create some great books, and I intend to keep reading Berg's.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Mending.

12/05/2009 page 1