Heather Hamilton's Reviews > The Struggle

The Struggle by L.J. Smith

Dec 05, 09

bookshelves: year-2009, paranormal, series
Read in December, 2009

I gave the first book in this series, The Awakening, 2 stars, but The Struggle is 2 and a half. The half comes simply from the surprise ending.

This book was just as plodding as it's predecessor, but had a little more action in the plot. I still have pain in my face from all the grimacing and eye-rolling (as the characters made stupid, immature decisions, relentlessly). But the twist at the end was actually really good...I wish there had been a story worthy of it in the first 7/8 of the book.

I notice that several people mentioned in their reviews that they first read this series in their early teens...I think that is definitely the audience for which this is intended. The scary parts aren't too scary, it's not too dark in the subject matter, and the sexual tension is all but non-existent. And the word that came to mind when I first started reading it was "immature".

I will continue to read the series, just because I want to see what has happened with the twist at the end, although I have heard that the ending of the third book will irritate me.

Here goes nothing....
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Struggle.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Vidya-BooksAreMagic I felt the same, when reading the first book. I still have no intention to read the second. Any warnings or suggestions?

Heather Hamilton Vidya wrote: "I felt the same, when reading the first book. I still have no intention to read the second. Any warnings or suggestions?"

Read my reviews of the other books, I usually don't spoil anything. This series was a thumbs down for me, and I haven't recommended it to anyone. I'm one of those people who hate not finishing something, and that's the only reason I finished this series. You will not miss anything leaving these on the shelves.