Chris Friend's Reviews > Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan

Nov 07, 07

Recommended for: Sci-fi fans, space fans, humanitarians
Read in November, 2007

I was impressed by how much I enjoyed this one. I've not read any Sagan before, so I didn't know what to expect, but he's one of those brilliant scientists who understands how to clearly explain things to laypeople. His story (I use the term though it reads more like a collection of journal entries or brief reports) covers wide-ranging topics about the implications and necessity of space travel, posing questions frequently, answering them occasionally, and leading inexorably to a single conclusion: the human species must press outward into space.

Though not nearly as reactionary or thrill-seeking as a recent string of fiction films dealing with space flight (specifically, "Mission to Mars" and "Armageddon" come to mind while reading this book), a case is made for the urgent need and dangerous potentials of further human spaceflight. Appropriately balanced, however, Sagan's conclusions bring an optimism not often found in the writings of modern scientists focused on a global perspective.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Blue Dot.