Rebecca's Reviews > The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Apr 19, 07

After I read The Joy Luck Club (summer required reading before sophomore English in high school), I started pestering my mom about her abandoned children in mainland China. I also declared that I would name my two kids after the aforementioned abandoned children: Spring Flower and Spring Rain.

My mom laughed in my face about the latter, saying no self-respecting Chinese would give their kids such pedestrian names, and would be mock-pissed about the former.

The truth is that The Joy Luck Club got some things right and got a lot of other things dramatic. The stuff that rang the most true with me was the angsty rivalry between Waverly and June; particularly June's meltdown at the piano recital (a consistent paranoia of mine throughout childhood) and Waverly's accusations toward her mother (a fantasy of mine growing up).

I now realize that some of my issues with my mom were probably planted by reading The Joy Luck Club; others were valid insofar as they existed within the collective repressed thoughts of first-generation Asian-Americans forced to compete against the highest standards: their parents'.

I think The Joy Luck Club is important because it was prominent in the mainstream and it finally allowed ABCs (American-born Chinese) to recognize themselves in a major work of literature. The problem is that the book came out almost twenty years ago and there have been nearly no major additions to the genre. I hate for people to think JLC is definitive about our culture and experience, as influential as it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy Luck Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda Thank you for this great review.

Kaitlyn Nicole In response to your comment about there not being much else by way of American Chinese-based literature, I disagree. Lisa See is and will remain one of my most favorite authors! Some of the Joy Luck Club reminds me of her work and I suggest you look into her novels. :)

Hazel Wow...very wonderful comment!!:)