Teresa's Reviews > Miracle and Other Christmas Stories

Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis

Dec 05, 2009

bookshelves: spec-fic
Read in December, 2009

Will post full review after I'm done, but the title story was one of my favorites from Asimov Science Fiction magazine back about, oh, 15+ years ago. Some of the stories are definitely in the "amazing" category, but one I couldn't figure out, and another actually bored me. Still, Willis' writing is definitely above average, hence her being one of my favorite writers.

Update: just wanted to add that, now that I've finished the book, I'll keep the rating at 4. Mostly that's for her great writing styles, and some terrific short stories. I was very disappointed by how the last story "Epiphany" ended. I was trying to figure out from that story as to whether she's a gung-ho Christian, or a non-Christian who's obsessed with Christian stuff, but ultimately, it's like trying to figure out whether Pat on SNL is a he or a she.

I also take exception to her assumption that one is Christian to read a book about Christmas. Some of us are just trying to do research on good writing (and have a wee thing for fantasy and sci-fi).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle and Other Christmas Stories.