Barbara's Reviews > The Mill on the Floss

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, classic-literature, historical-fiction
Read from June 24 to July 03, 2011

Many say this is George Eliot's most autobiographical novel; if so, she must have spent her entire life feeling misunderstood as Maggie did in this story. I loved Maggie's desire to always do the right thing, and her thought process and confusion illustrate the difficulties of making that choice at times. I wish others in her family had seen her talents and encouraged her, rather than the opposite. The relationship between Tom and Maggie did strike me as odd, but probably believable. The harsh judgement that would befall anyone who encountered financial setbacks and/or did something that gave the appearance of impropriety seemed very accurate and unfortunate. The plot was interesting, but also very melancholy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill on the Floss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee Some of these classics are definitely better as movies. My favorite George Eliot book is Silas Marner. I use it with my class. We read it, watch the PBS version, and then for fun watch an updated version called A Simple Twist of Fate. It's an intriguing plot!

Barbara Yes, I liked Silas Marner also! There are many classics that I am trying to read because I read the required books by those authors, liked them, but haven't read too many of their other books. I haven't watched many movies based on classic books. I guess I should! Like you, I enjoy using movies with books as a second grade teacher. I read Charlotte's Web with my class and then we watch the movie. Even my young students love discussing how the book is different from the movie. I've also done that with the original movie version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory after reading that.