Arlene's Reviews > The Last Song

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: read-2010, ya-contemporary, young-adult
Read in June, 2010

I've read a few Sparks books and for the most part, I’ve really enjoyed them from beginning to end. However, The Last Song took me quite a while to get into, and I was very close to throwing in the towel and giving up.

To be honest, I realized I went into reading it with a bad attitude. *is ashamed* I'll explain my resistance... two words... one person... Miley Cyrus. Not a huge fan of hers, so when I started this book, her image and voice resonated in my brain and it matched perfectly with Ronnie's (short for Veronica) character. Coupled with the fact that her attitude at the beginning of the novel was a huge turn-off, I was close to calling it quits... UNTIL something happened on page 127… Ronnie saved the sea turtles… oh sweet nibblets, she had to go and save the sea turtles and my attitude soften and I plowed through the rest of the book in a few short hours.

Seventeen year old Ronnie Miller’s life was turned upside down when her parents divorced and her father moved away from New York to North Carolina. After three years of anger and alienation from her father, she is forced to spend the summer in Wilmington with her dad, a former concert pianist and teacher. During this summer of growth, revelation and maturity, Ronnie is faced with the possibility of mending her differences and coming to terms with her new reality.

Overall, I feel this book isn’t one of Sparks strongest examples of his writing abilities, but it’s signature of his style to pull at your heart strings. I think what won me over was the main character’s demonstration of personal growth, maturity and compassion, but it took me a while to get there. Good book with a slow start but strong ending. I’m glad I didn’t give up because I ended up really liking it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.

06/17/2010 page 42
10.0% "I've fallen asleep twice reading this book. I'm either over-worked... or this book is not for me... Giving it one more try...." 23 comments
06/18/2010 page 116
29.0% "I dreamt about sea turtles and fire balls.... I'm not giving up... I'm not giving up... I make it through another 74 pages last night. *wearily chants* woohoo... *yawn*" 7 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm surprised you didn't mentioned you fell asleep while reading this book. Multiple times! ^^

message 2: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy The movie was cute though!!! I hate miley, but I ALMOST forgot it was her... then she did that annoying laugh :)

~Tina~ Great review! I can totally see why you didn't like this one as much as you could have. Hate is a strong word, but I really don't like Cyrus at all and I'm ticked cause I can't see this movie:(

Arlene Oh yes, the first 120 pages were a huge borefest for me. I really kept nodding off. But there's something with me and animals. I feel compassion for them and they hook me every time. LOL member' I'm the one that worries about Boomer and the fish in Willow. I almost even cried for B Thrice in Rockstar and the poor cow that was take away from Dairy Queen. :)

Tina, I completely agree... I have a hard time using the word h8. I don't like Miley either, but I think I want to see this movie now.

Kristy, when the movie comes out on DVD I'm going to watch it.

~Tina~ I was pretty upset for the cow in Dairy Queen, but I think it's also because it was such a huge metaphor for the whole DJ thinks she's a cow with a cow's life bit. Dame, those are such awesome books!!

I might watch it on DVD if I have absolutely nothing to do, or if I run out of books, which is highly unlikely I every will. >.<

Arlene Yes, when the cow was taken away, the metaphor really came to the surface. DJ has such a unique outlook on life. Great girl, that one.

I think I'm just going to watch it. The story seems like it would translate well to screen. I'm curious if Miley was able to pull it off. The book really did carry her voice though.

~Tina~ I read this before I knew she was playing her, so I was pretty ticked they picked her since I portrayed her differently in my head.
I'll end up watching it one day since it would be a shame to miss one of Nick's book come to life, but I'm not happy about it. @.@

Arlene I heard or read rather, that he wrote this book for her. She wanted to star in a movie based on one of his books... hmmm just like Mandy and he wrote the screen play first before he penned the book. Maybe that's why I kept hearing her voice in my head, it sounds so much like her.

~Tina~ See, I like Mandy Moore and she did so, so, awesome in A Walk to Remember ~wipes tears~
I didn't know Cyrus was doing this one.
I wanna read his next book though.

Arlene I loved, LOVED A Walk to Remember. This is one that I watched the movie but didn't read the book. Mandy Moore is great! Her singing is really good too.

~Tina~ Love her voice and she is so prudy!! Perfect role for her too!
Awesome book and cast!

message 12: by Nic (new)

Nic I still haven't read any Nicholas Spark novels. One day... Great review :)

~Tina~ If you ever do, I suggest you read The Notebook first. It's the my all time favorite!! (buy tissues, lots!)

Arlene The Notebook was really good. I liked Dear John. Now that was a sad book!

message 15: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F I love Nicholas Spark movies. But not the books. The movies are always much better, IMO. I just don't like his writing style.

~Tina~ Dear John, the book was toooo sad and while I liked it, I just well, never wanted to read his books again, but I got over it. The movie, IMO was wayyyyy better and had a wayyyyyy better ending.
I agree Morg, I like watching his movies more then the books, but I'm sad and need to know what happens before each one @.@ LOL

message 17: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I definitely agree that Nicholas Sparks movies always seem so much better than the books... The Notebook will always be one of my favorites though, Book and movie wise!!!

Arlene I really liked reading The Notebook , but I preferred the ending in the movie. Same for Dear John. The book was great, but the ending sucked arse. It was so wrong. The movie got the ending right IMO.

I like reading his books, but sometimes it's a painful experience.

Arlene BTW, The Last Song won't be on DVD until mid-August.

message 20: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Fine with me. I have a lot on my Netflix list to watch.

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm not really into romantic drama crap, those movies always make me cry like a baby.

I spend the entire movie thinking "I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry" but I end up blubbering all over myself anyway. Yes, I'm a big softie underneath all that fierce armour, deal with it. XD

~Tina~ ~gives Kim a hug~ It's okay, we like you being a fierce women who has tissues in her pockets for the ready:D

Alice omg arlene i totally agree with you there, i was very disappointed to hear that Miley Cyrus was going to be the lead in the movies but good thing i read the book first xD and i have to admit, she didnt do a half bad job on the movie either... she fits the roll of the rebellious bitchy teenager just wonderfully :D

Arlene LOL Alice!!! I saw the movie too and I have to agree... she did a great job playing that role. XD

message 25: by Nicole Mckee (new) - added it

Nicole Mckee I hesitated to read this book because Miley Cyrus was in the movie, but I made an effort to not think of her as Ronnie while reading the book and I enjoyed it a lot more.

Arlene LOL. Yeah, I didn't want to read it because of that too and I had a hard time getting her voice out of my head. I ended up really liking this book too, but it took a lot of mental effort to come up with a different image of Ronnie... the voice wouldn't go away though. :P

message 27: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I somewhat agree with your comment. I have to say, the beginning of the book was dreadfully boring. It had no life, no personality, no anything & I almost closed it. Then, I got to the part when Ronnie & Will were falling in love & I began to fall in love with the book. My favorite aspect of the book is how Nicholas Sparks wrote it. I loved how it bounced around from person to person so that we could see everyone's perspective. I have read a few Nicholas Sparks books, The Notebook, Dear John, Message In A Bottle, & Save Haven, & while I did like the book, it wasn't my favorite. I feel like he could've talked more about the characters Jonah, Blaze, etc, but that's pretty minor. Other than that, I enjoyed the plot & book overall.

Arlene Taylor wrote: "I somewhat agree with your comment. I have to say, the beginning of the book was dreadfully boring. It had no life, no personality, no anything & I almost closed it. Then, I got to the part when Ro..."

Well said Taylor. I completely agree. I've also read a few Sparks books and this one wasn't quite my favorite as it took me a while to get into it. Overall, I did end up liking it though.