Chris's Reviews > The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

Dec 05, 09

bookshelves: adventure, historical, humor, j, not-graphic, voice, guys-read

First impressions are powerful, and my instant reaction to Homer’s voice as narrator was that it was too affected and cutesy. An adult author pretending somewhat poorly to be an entertaining period boy. Nothing the rest of the book changed that impression and I was never able to fully engage it. I constantly found my mind wandering or divided, so I ended up getting the general idea of the story but not the emotion. As for that story, it’s a little bit Forrest Gump and a little bit Huck Finn, with a young Homer having many wild adventures and encountering many interesting people during the Civil War. Some social commentary and pretty educational, but lacking the ironic wit that makes someone like Twain so effective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.

Quotes Chris Liked

Rodman Philbrick
“In his opinion, humans were best when miserable, and so he had worked at being miserable his whole life, and in his generous way tried to make as many people miserable as possible.”
Rodman Philbrick, The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg