Erin's Reviews > Starman, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father

Starman, Vol. 1 by James Robinson

F_50x66
Dec 05, 09

bookshelves: graphicnovel, borrowed-from-friends, sf, grownup-books
Read in December, 2009

This is a superhero comic from the late 90s, that takes the classic superhero tropes and filters them through a very indie, Sandman-like sensibility. It's a great marriage of art style and writing too; the artist's art nouveau portrayal of Opal City makes the city a character in its own right.

Jack Knight has a small antique shop that he loves, a brother who annoys him, and a father who seems to think he's a disappointment at least half the time. What he doesn't have is any desire whatsoever to be a superhero, even though his father, Ted, was Opal City's famous Starman. Now his brother, David, has the role.

But one of his father's enemies wants revenge...and everything is about to change.

I didn't always find Jack a likeable character, but I always found him a grounded and realistic one, and I really liked the evolution of his relationships with his father and brother.

And Shade--Shade rocks! Mist is just creepy, and the fact that he's obviously losing his faculties makes him even more creepy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starman, Vol. 1.