Dree's Reviews > Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living

Farewell, My Subaru by Doug Fine

Jun 30, 10

bookshelves: food, library-books-2010, memoir-biography-autobiography, 2010-reads, 2009-reads-childrens, the-west
Read from June 28 to 29, 2010

I did like this book--he can laugh at his inexperience, at the crazy things he finds himself doing, at the characters he meets and how much they know. I also appreciate how he recognizes that you can TRY to not buy from China, but shopping local doesn't help (and I get crappier service from locally owned stores too!). Perhaps he also wonders why Washington grows so many crappy Red Delicious apples rather than one of the several yummy varieties that only seems to come from Chile?

That said, he should stick to his own experiences. On page 111 he shows he doesn't know much about the Central Arizona Project. (Created largely for agriculture--so much exhausted agricultural land has been taken out of production and put into suburbs that there are more and more suburbs. Suburbs take less water than growing cotton in the desert. Also, Tucson and Vegas get much of the water--Phoenix has their own older mountain reservoir system, yet he does not mention Tucson. I could go on about the Pima farming...)

He also dings LA as being the antithesis of what he is doing, several times. Yet he recognizes that NY's density allows NYers to produce less per capita carbon. I bet if he looked at the numbers, he would see that LA is very very dense compared to someplace like...Indianapolis, or large cities with miles and miles and miles of "rural" homes on 1-acre lot. THAT is sprawl.

My 10 yo is interested in trying this book, and I am going to let him. He may love it.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farewell, My Subaru.

06/28/2010 page 33