Karen & Gerard's Reviews > Petey

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen

Dec 05, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, inspirational, relationships, teens, thought-provoking
Read in December, 2009

Really good book and a fast read about how a deformed baby with Cerebral Palsy was misdiagnosed as an idiot and institutionalized in an insane asylum in the 1920s. Most thought he couldn’t think but a few of his attendants and one other resident discovered he could think. When he was in his 40s, he was finally transferred to a nursing home where he was able to go outside and do things. A boy protected him from some bullies who were throwing snowballs at him one day and the 13-yr. old boy became his good friend.

Petey had a great attitude about life, even though he needed people to take care of his basic needs and couldn’t do much for himself. This book showed what people with deformities go through and that we need to take time to get to know people and not write them off because of their appearance. Petey shows us how good life is. I thought this book would be depressing, but on the contrary, I found it to be very interesting and heartwarming. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petey.