Starling's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Dec 06, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, historical, mystery
Read in December, 2009

I really enjoyed this book. It is quite different from other books I've read lately. Thanks to Goodreads I'm spreading my wings a bit. Among the differences is that the protagonist is male. Although I am following another series set about 30 years earlier, also in London, with a male protagonist, most of the historical mysteries that I've read that are set in Victorian times have female protagonists.

A lot of reviewers say that Charles Lenox is an armchair detective, but I don't see it that way myself. He looks at the scene of crime, and looks for evidence, and interviews people or sends others out to interview them. He isn't some kind of 19th Century lab rat. He isn't an official detective, and he isn't a policeman. He is an amateur, which sounds right for the period.

We meet a lot of people who are involved in his life, including the upper servants who live in his house and the home of Lady Julia, a childhood friend. One of the things I really liked about the book is that the regulars in what I think is a series are people I will enjoy being around.

Lady Julia asks Lenox to look into the death of her former maid. She went to work in the same home as her fiancé when she got engaged but something was going wrong and the girl was unhappy in her new job. The resulting mystery develops some very strange kinks before it gets solved and I enjoyed watching it get solved. I'm going to look for the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

12/05/2009 page 65
21.04% "Hooked me on page 1 although it starts slowly. Just a beautiful writing style."