Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > Mockingjay

Aug 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia, sci-fi, ya-fiction
Read from August 24 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy

Okay, keep in mind that while I'm trying my best to skirt around spoiler territory, the mere fact that I'm talking about the book could be bothersome to those who haven't read it. So read it, then go read reviews, okay? And please, not everyone hate me for this one, I just couldn't give it higher.

I'm not going to sum up anything, you all know what it's about, so let's cut to the chase, with the one word I can think of to describe how I felt immediately after finishing. Disappointment. Disappointment in the complete lack of "OMG" moments I've come to expect from the series. In the frustrating character arc Katniss goes through, almost to the point of misanthrope in the last half of the book (sorry, emo spoiler) And finally in anything interesting going on. I was okay with Catching Fire for taking its time, pulling you into a false sense of security and then BAM we're back into the Games. Here, its all buildup and no release. I was completely let down by everything. From the "final" battle in the Capitol to the way Snow is killed. (If you're surprised by this, i warned you)

On the positive side, it is a Hunger Games book. There ARE surprises and tiny cliffhangers, but nothing compared to the first two books. President Snow is vile as ever, with televised executions of rebels and being behind really REALLY sad deaths of main characters. Oh and I also liked how the Mockingjay on the cover is bursting free of those shackle-like things that encircled the first two books. Cool idea, considering.

Most of the characters are great, there are some funny lines, and it actually keeps you guessing to the very end of the book who Katniss chooses. The downside is that those final pages are wrapped up so quick, the first thing I think is "So what about the other guy? How did he take this?" It felt too happy and easy of an ending for these characters that have faced such dark times. But maybe thats what Mrs. Collins wanted for her characters - a break. That's great and all, but that's not the thing I really wanted to take center stage in the end to the series.

I sort of liken it to the end of Lost last May. That show had two options to chose from, to take during those final hours. While I was not completely satisfied with the outcome of it, I loved how it ended undoubtedly. Mockingjay went opposite for me. And I don't want to say anything, It just didn't go the way that I was hoping for it to go.

I'm sorry, world.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

08/24/2010 page 47
12.0% "this is me showing restraint from speed reading the shit out of this thing." 5 comments
08/25/2010 page 137
35.0% "0_0"
show 3 hidden updates…

Tori Oh man! Don't ruin anything for me.

Mitchel Broussard i havent started it, but i will try to write a really good and absolutely spoiler free review, when i'm done

Tori I'm hoping I get mine in the next few days, It's already been shipped. But I did finally get around to reading Lies. :)

Mitchel Broussard oh that one was gooood

Tori I know, but I reallllly wanna see what the hell is going on. I don't feel like waiting until next year again. :(

Mitchel Broussard yeah thats the worst. but i also see it as something positive b/c its like a definite that we are getting one of these every year until its over. there's no "oh yeah the next one may come out 2012/2013. i would kill myself.

Tori Yeah I guess so. I just really want to know if all that stuff was real. Like, Is the series going to end with them all escaping? What the hell is going on! I'm so hooked on it now. Well, even more than I was.

Mitchel Broussard yeah i lOVE the underlying mysteries in those books. so enthralling

Tori So enthraaalling.

Michael Bah! Were you disappointed, too?

Mitchel Broussard yeah pretty much, i'm about to post my review, then im going read yours. see if we thought the same thing.

Michael mk (:

Michael Major kudos for the Lost reference. :D

Mitchel Broussard thanks thanks :D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

shitty spoiler filled review is shitty.

Mitchel Broussard dumbass that can't read a proper pre-warning paragraph is a dumbass.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

you said "skirt around spoiler territory." im sorry doesnt that seem like you wont reveal anything?

Mitchel Broussard yes then i say that im still talkingg about the book which entails plot points, so ya know, read it first.

"so read it, then go read reviews, okay?" right there. second sentence. first paragraph.

Breanna Rose Graham you said what I couldn't!
"But, alas, I loved the first book SO much (and the second just a little less) that giving it anything less than three stars feels heretic."
I completly agree with you I also gave it 3 stars.