Cara's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Dec 04, 2009

bookshelves: 2010, science-fiction, series, to-re-read
Read from September 14 to 17, 2010

I had considered not doing a review for this book, because really the series doesn't need any help whatsoever from me. It can stand on it's own just fine, but I feel an obligation to share my admiration and love for this series.

Katniss has narrowly escaped the claws of the Capitol. She is the face of the rebellion and the strain of that responsibility shows. Nothing is clear cut, nothing is easy, and nothing makes sense. The suspense, the tension, and the electric air is apparent and it won't matter if Katniss is ready or not. The rebellion is catching fire. Welcome to the war against the Capitol.

This book was so highly anticipated and the expectations couldn't be greater. Personally this was THE book I was waiting for all year, but I didn't have any expectations going in. Well, no that's a lie, I did expect it to be awesome beyond recognition. Once I had my hands on the book I just looked down at the seemingly innocent blue cover and tightened my grip around the book trying to prepare myself. I felt like I had to physically and mentally get myself ready for the battle to read this because I just knew going in that this was going to be an "experience" . My assumptions were correct.

My thoughts and feelings are jumbled and hazy after reading this. I actually finished it right before I went to class, and I just couldn't concentrate on the lecture. I kept going back to the story, contemplating what just happened. My heart felt more than broken, it was trampled on. Things don't turn out the way you want them to or the way you expect them to. This one isn't like the first two, and shows a realistic aspect of what would happen in a real war zone. It gives the reader a sense of why nobody is clearly justified in their actions and why Katniss, Peeta, Gale and everyone involved could and won't ever be the same again. You know how I said I tried to prepare myself? I wasn't prepared.

Readers of the first two know there is no doubt that you have to read the last book. There is no question that you will. Now for those of you that haven't read it, go read it. I could feel something inside me shift just a bit once I finished. Good books will make you think, but excellent books make you feel. No doubt this was excellent but not in the sense that you would think. The world-building is believable and mirrors us to an extent. The clincher is that it's seen through a seventeen year old young woman just trying to do what's right at the moment, and sometimes that isn't enough. It's impossible to rate because it isn't happy but it tells the truth. It's hard to accept the truth.

There is no way, even if I wanted to, I could ever forget the story of Katniss Everdeen, the Mockingjay, and the people of Panem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Cara Liked

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

06/09/2016 marked as: read

Tori You got it! :D

Cara I know! I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited when I was told it was waiting for me at the bookmobile stop. I was out there in no seconds flat. When I was out of there I was like "oh yeah" let the awesomeness begin!

Tori Haha! The awesomeness is about to consume you. :)

Cara Yup it did. I couldn't wait to tear through it and now I'm done. So many mixed feelings I don't know where to start.

Tori I know! It's ridiculous! I'm glad you gave it 5 stars like me, I'm not alone! :D I'm gonna read it now.

Tori Yeah, I can see where you'd have trouble concentrating after this. I usually need time to process, especially with a series like this. It takes a lot for it to sink in.

Cara You should tell me how it is the second time around. Hopefully not such a jumble. Seriously I still feel a tiny bit disoriented. Now we'll have to see if she writes anything else that is awesome:)

Tori Yeah, I was wondering if she'd come up with another awesome series. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Cara *blows bangs off of face* I hate the "wait and see" game:/ Oh well I'll just have to happy that finally this series is over, though I am a little sad about it, it's good. Now I'll just have to wait and anticpate the movie that better blow my socks off!

message 10: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I'm definitely sad about it. I can't wait to see the movie. I think I'll try going in with no expectations and hopefully it'll be better.

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah I'll have to do that too but it's hard not to compare to it the book. I recently finally got to watch the Percy Jackson movie and for most of it I just kept pointing out how it was so different from the book. The second time I watched it was much better since I wasn't so caught up with how the movie didn't match the book. I'll have to keep myself in check when Hunger Games out;)

message 12: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I did that when I saw Percy Jackson too, but all in all I think they did a pretty good job with it. I was wondering if they were going to make another one at all.

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I know right? I actually doubt it since where would they go from there? It be hard to still get the script from the books with so many changes. Hopefully the won't make the same mistake with HG!

Genovick Amazing review :)

message 15: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks Genovick:D

Tiffany Glad to see someone else who really liked Mockingjay! It was an amazing book. And your reviews are always great!

message 17: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks Tiffany:) I did love it but it just ripped my heart to read it, and that can be hard for readers.