Arlene's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: dystopic, read-2010, favorites, ya-dystopic, young-adult
Read on August 24, 2010

There is so much I love and despise about this book and my brain is still in a mindfog trying to sort out some of the catastrofuck that just occurred. But first and foremost I must say… hats off to Suzanne Collins for penning an epic finale of courageous and daring proportions!! Wow she really spared no expense in ending The Hunger Games series with a final installment that will leave a lasting impression! Collins is without a doubt FEARLESS.

I am still in complete and absolute shock as I contemplate the events I never imagined would occur actually took place in this book; characters I never fathomed would be sacrificed, found their final chapters in this installment; and paths I took for granted would be avoided were actually taken. As I read chapter after chapter, I quickly realized that I should give up trying to anticipate Collins' next moves and just expect the unexpected. Collins demonstrated time and time again that she owned this story, and she was not going to compromise her ending with unicorns and rainbows. It was truly out of control at every turn but perfectly executed!!

In this final installment of Mockingjay, the most deadly and costly games are launched as the district rebels and the Capitol fight to the bloody finish for power over Panem. Katniss Everdeen continues to be the pawn, but as the games unravel, it’s never quite clear what side she should be playing for and who she should trust. Gale, her lifetime friend, continually makes moves that in the end cost Katniss dearly. Peeta, the person that put his life on the line for her time and time again, becomes a weapon in the games putting her at risk as she fights to survive this deadly powerplay.

I had so many favorite characters in this book, but as soon as I let my guard down, they were pulled from my grasp and ripped to shreds. In the end, I feared caring too deeply for any of them and found I began distancing myself emotionally from the story. It was such a psychological ride that I felt completely spent in the end.

I loved Finnick Odair in this book and his back-story broke my heart. His reunion with the one person he loved was heart rending and that’s not all, but you’ll have to read to find out more about this hidden gem of a character that I never anticipated would surface at this final hour.

This book ends with a dark and painful journey for Katniss and I found myself struggling with what she was going through as a result of her involvement in the revolution. There were moments that I wanted to give up right along side with her, and as I was nearing the end of the story, I couldn’t fathom a resolution I felt she deserved. And, I'm still questioning whether she got it...

There is so much more I want to say about this book, but as I said, I’m spent!
122 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Albie46 I thought it was being called "The Victors"?
Although that french article you posted did say something about it being not confirmed didn't it...

Arlene I don't think this is the right title. I'd be surprised if it's just called "The Hunger Games Book Three."

If they go with "The Victors" that's such a clever name, because we can't assume we know who the victors will be.

Is it August yet? :)

Hannah Arlene wrote: "Is it August yet? :)..."

Ditto! I'm so excited for this to come out. The finale better be good.

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Feb 11, 2010 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah Oooohhh - pretty cover (I like the title).

I'm pumped for this one!

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "Oooohhh - pretty cover (I like the title).

I'm pumped for this one!"

I'm so excited for this book too!! I want it NOW! LOL

Hannah Arlene wrote: "I'm so excited for this book too!! I want it NOW! LOL"

Well, as long as *now* equals 5+ months away, you're good!

She better not pull a Meyer and give us an Epic Fail.
I can see it now, she's going to shorten names and give us Pee and Gay!

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "Well, as long as *now* equals 5+ months away, you're good!

She better not pull a Meyer and give us an Epic Fail.
I can see it now, she's going to shorten names and give us Pee and Gay! "

Gah! Must we go there? My brain still hurts over that Epic Fail. Now I have Jazz Hands in my head. Get out! Get outta my head!

Collins wouldn't do that to us. I just know it. :)

Hannah Arlene wrote: "Now I have Jazz Hands in my head. Get out! Get outta my head!

Collins wouldn't do that to us. I just know it. :)..."

Jazz Hands never gets old to me...never!!!

And you really are an optimist where writers of series books are concerned. I'm going to automatically declare them guilty until they prove me wrong - makes for less dented dry-wall when I hurl the book :)

Arlene Eye hurt from the Jazz hands. Thanks a lot! LOL

I think SM is my only disappointment so far in terms of an Epic Fail. No one can mess it up as bad as she did... Nope, don't think it's possible. I have hope. I do! :)

~Tina~ Right behind you Arlene! I have to work later so I know I can't finish this, but GAWD I need to start it now!!
Happy Reading!!

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim WOOOHOOOOO!!

Wendy **jealous!!** I'm going with a friend tonight after dinner to pick it up!

message 13: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Happy reading! Still waiting for my copy to arrive in store :( Can't wait to read your spoiler free review!

Fabiane Abreu I know exactly how you're feeling! The book gave me a bitter feeling in the end. I cried, raged, and then, at the ending... just hollow and slightly bitter. Can't say I'll have the energy to re-read it anytime soon! Such an emotional ride!

message 15: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Great review. Makes me wish my copy would hurry up and arrive. I dying to know did Katniss choose Peeta?

Arlene Fabiane, I really thought I'd re-read this right away, but I just can't. I'm really exhausted. I feel like a tribute that just went through the games. AG!

Nic, I can tell you a choice was made. There were gains, there were losses. Katniss earned an HEA without a doubt, but I'm still wondering if she really got it.

Great book!!

message 17: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Argh! I need this book right now!

Arlene I can overnight you my book. I need some emotional distance from this one. *whimpers a weak LOL*

I hope your's arrives soon.

Albie46 Okay, i got to your catastrof%&k word, and realised you hadn't actually used the *^& symbols, so you really must have meant it, and seriosl my heart just stopped for a moment!

Our copies, apparently are only coming from the supplier today, so will be out sometime later this week. :(

ANd now I am really really scared...
Way more than when you said the ending to Gone was 'appropriate'! Lol! And i loved that book in the end.

That's a wicked first line of your review there Arlene... and I haven't even read any further and now I"m too scared to!

I hope the dissappointment and loathing don't last too long!

As a Gale fan, will I perhaps like this book a little more than you???

Oh, I"m so going to read the last page!

~Tina~ Beautiful review hun! I get what you mean by emotional, it's really hard not getting chocked up. I'm surprised that I even took to these books really, they are tortuous and cruel and not the escape I usually go for, but God I love it!
I'm off today, going to read till I'm done:)

Alexa Awesome review, Arlene! It was crazy, wasn't it? But I guess Collins wanted it to be real because really, war changes people & doesn't bring happiness, especially to the people closely involved.

@Albie: I hope this isn't revealing too much, but... I think if you're a fan of either Gale, Katniss, or Peeta you...will be upset. :(

message 22: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Amazing review. I feel the exact same way you do. I stayed up for a good hour after I finished at 3am, still trying to absorb what I had just read. Not to mention bawling my eyes out. THAT is how you end a series. I felt so exhausted after finishing...and I've NEVER cried over a book that much. So glad you enjoyed it.

Morgan F I am like, shaking, in anticipation!

message 24: by Arlene (last edited Aug 25, 2010 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene Thanks ladies!

Albie, I toned down my review. I was in a cussing mood last night, but after 3 hours of restless slept and intermittent contemplation, I've settled my thoughts and feelings just a little bit. I feel my review is spoiler free and I'm definitey not disappointed in this book or the choices that were made. I loved Katniss, Peeta and to a smaller degree Gale and I hope others feel they got the ending they deserved. The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

Tina, I hope you enjoy it. Collins spared no expense at reminding us this is her story to tell. She's amazing!

Alexa, you hit it right on about the war. I kept thinking about that as the story progressed. The footage, sending literally what is "kids" off to battle, the emotional and physical damage for those who fight in these wars. Soo much was running through my brain.

Jen, without a doubt, that was an ending worthy of applause!!!

Morgan, shaking would be appropriate IMO.

Last observation that I wanted to add to my review.... one of the final scenes when Katniss is sitting by the fireplace (and those who already read it will rememder the state she's in) the song Come In Closer by Blue October played in my head. Seriously, I felt like a POW being tortured as I read her final pages... TORTURED!!

I think that's it.... for now. :)

message 25: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I could barely finish the last part of your most recent comment because I got teary-eyed again.

Arlene Oh no!! Sorry Jen! I love Katniss, and she's by far my most favorite female fictional character. I can't think of any other character that deserved a HEA more than her. I just wish I could say she truly got one because she lost so much along the way.

message 27: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Hahah, don't apologize! A great book is supposed to make us feel, and I can't think of any book in recent memory that has inflicted the amount of intense happiness and tragic heartache that this one did.

And I wish she could've gotten a happier ending, too. She did deserve it! But I think that the book wouldn't have been as epic as it was if she had gotten everything a la Bella Swan. Breaking Dawn RUINED the Twilight Saga, whereas Mockingjay brought THG full circle. Even though rage and mourning were running high after the last page, that's the way it had to end, I think.

message 28: by Arlene (last edited Aug 25, 2010 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene I have one recent book that tore me apart just as equally... Forbidden, but Mockingjay is an epic finale BY FAR!

I can't agree with you more!! SM claims she told Breaking Dawn the way she always imagined it, but she sacraficed nothing or no one. Bella got the HEA I feel she never really earned.

Collins screams her rights over this last book. The whole time I felt, wow she really owns this book and we're just along for the ride, so hang on. Some of my fave characters were sparred, but that was just a constant reminder that sacrafices and losses happen during a war. This is truly an amazing finale!!

Morgan F Breaking Dawn was the worst finale I ever read. It made me hate Twilight.

Arlene Me too Morgan... me too.. It was tragic to see me go from complete lurves of a series to absolutely loathing it. It was sorta criminal... but I guess my obsession over Twi wasn't healthy to begin with so it's probably good that happened. LOL

Morgan F I agree. I owe Breaking Dawn for me no longer being a Twitard.

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Oh I still love Twilight. I just consider it a trilogy. And Jacob dies fighting for Bella's honor. Thats my ending. (and I love Jacob. I just think Bella should have to lose something big.)

Albie46 Well, I just read the rest of your review since you said it was spoiler free and nope, i'm not feeling any more reassured!

My book hasn't even arrived yet and already I feel like I"m going into a gauntlet.
YOu know I think I was thinking i was going to have to put my life on hold (leave work early, not go away this weeknd) to read this book, but now I think I may have to do the life on hold thing after this book!

What ever happend to HEA??

Arlene I hope I didn't ruin anything for you. Albie, all I can say is that there are all sorts of HEA's and those happen in different ways for different people. Katniss deserved one in her own right, but her HEA would not be something I would ever dream for myself. Good things happen to her and so do bad things, but in the end, she's the strong, courageous, determined herione I came to care for since book one. This book will blow your mind... life on hold is probably the way to go. :)

message 35: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I still don't know what to say. So I'll stick with 'great review' ^^

Nicole I agree with you Arlene and felt I had to distance myself a bit to read this, I just knew Suzanne Collins was going to go hardcore on us poor little readers. After the emotional ride of the series, I'm satisfied with the ending, it was more than I was expecting after bracing myself for the worst.

Arlene Thanks Kim. I think we're all still in a bit of shock.

Nicole, it was so insane that I almost became fearful of what Collins would put Katniss through next. I'm still in awe at how she drove this final installment home with such bold and daring twists and turns. Collins owned this story and she proved it over and over again with her approach. Hats off to her!

Mindy Perfect review!

Arlene Thank you Mindy!

message 40: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Great review. My mind was too boggled to come up with more than a few "great book"s and such, so hats off to you for having the wherewithal ;-) to write such a thorough review. Spot on. :-D

Arlene Awwww, thank you Jenn. :) Oh I know how you feel. I was in shock after I finished the book and it took a few revisions to write that one and I still feel it's all over the place, but I loved that book and the series so much, I just had to write my feelings down. What a great book!

message 42: by Crystal (last edited Sep 03, 2010 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Crystal Great review!! She is definitely fearless! I cried at the end!

Cassidy Literally every word you said in this review is completely perfect. You took every tangled thought from my mind and perfectly placed them here. Thank you for writing this, and thank you for understanding!!

Arlene Wow Cassidy! Thank you so much! Yeah this book was a complete head spin. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Gracie Cassidy wrote: "Literally every word you said in this review is completely perfect. You took every tangled thought from my mind and perfectly placed them here. Thank you for writing this, and thank you for underst..."

I agree completely. I was such an emotional wreck after reading Mockingjay, it took me a while to start reading again. This book left me a little unhinged & it might take years before I re-read this again. This is a great review & I couldn't have said it better myself. ^_^

Arlene Thank you Gracie! I was emotionally spent after finishing this book too. I really want to read it again and it's been almost a year, but I'm still a bit hesitant. Still an amazing series IMHO. :)

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) Beautiful review. You perfectly described how I felt while reading, and how I feel right now having just finished reading Mockingjay. Every moment you pointed out was among my favorites as well.

''There were so many endearing moments in this book, such as Katniss’s Crazy Cat game, the moment she realized she needed Haymitch emotionally and he wrapped his arms around her, her revealing moment that Prim was no longer the little sister with the ducktail she need to tuck and protect, and her real or not real response to Peeta’s final question.''

I'm exhausted emotionally...and like you I'm unsure if Katniss got the ending she deserved. I'm just glad she got the boy she deserved back...

Arlene Thank you Micheline! I felt exactly the same way after I finished. I'm definitely happy with who she ended up with but what a ton of sacrifices she had to make. Emotional!! :)

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) My pleasure. The sacrifices were many and almost too painful to bear. I'm done reading and I still find myself thinking about the story, and mourning for all off Katniss' loss...like you said: emotional!

Arlene Yes, I couldn't stop thinking about the book for a long time. I still to this day want to re-read it again, but the emotions were so intense that I just can't yet, but I still loved it to pieces. :)

« previous 1