Jess's Reviews > Day of the Scarab

Day of the Scarab by Catherine Fisher

Oct 23, 07

bookshelves: fantasy, mythology, juv, young-adult, adventure
Recommended for: fans of the first two
Read in October, 2007

A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Not all of my questions were answered, but enough to keep me happy. The stories are fairly complex, and although they follow the standard 'must set out on a quest' set-up, the quests are never straightforward. Characters are deliciously complex, growing and changing throughout the series. The series draws on Greek mythology and ancient Egyptian society, but deviates enough to feel original. Religion is an integral part of the characters' lives, particularly for those who hear the voice of the god.

I had a few minor quibbles with the story, maybe more related to my lack of attention than to the book. At times it can feel very chaotic, quickly alternating between several limited 3rd-person points of view. Since the characters themselves are in chaos, it feels appropriate though occasionally confusing.

The complexity of the stories suits them to the YA audience, or to sophisticated younger readers. There is violence and bloodshed, although several characters participate reluctantly and the focus of the story lies elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of the Scarab.