Agnes's Reviews > The Space Between Us

The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar

Apr 19, 2007

it was ok
Read in October, 2007

Meh. This is the kind of novel I used to like - exploring gender and class issues in a foreign setting - but I found it unsatisfying. The author describes the crushing powerlessness of illiteracy and poverty well, but the rest of the book I found overly dramatic.

*SPOILER ALERT*

The one redeeming feature of the book to me was the fact that the two women characters in the book whose lives are profiled, do NOT find a way to bridge the class gap between them. However, the flashbacks employed by the author were sophomoric and the very fact that this gap is not bridged is not explored nearly fully enough. Instead, she ends with a terribly trite "epiphany" by the sea on the part of one of the characters. The novel gives a flavor of the class differences in Bombay, but not much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Us.

05/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb I completely agree with you.

Ruth Rossin I also completely agree. Not a shred of light anywhere. Even the one character (rich daughter)who seems to have a happy future has that snatched away. No balance at all.