~Tina~'s Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Nov 18, 10

bookshelves: own, read-2010, favorites, fantasy, young-adult
Read from November 16 to 18, 2010

~jumps up and down~ WowwowowowowowoW!

I've read Melina Marchetta other books, and I liked them just fine, but this is the kind of book that just seeps under my skin and doesn't let go.
Marchetta was born to write high fantasy!!

"Be prepared for the worse, my love, for it lives next door to the best."

A kingdom cursed. It's people trapped, traded or exiled. Separated by wars and madness. Prophecy destined and the hums that flickers in the hearts of hope.

Finnikin of the Rock is a sensational read!!!
Steady, fast paced, suspenseful, gripping, exhilarating and everything in between that is demanded from a story of this magnitude.
Simply put, it's absolutely brilliant!

When I first started this book I was pretty intimidated right from the start. Lots of names, cities and terminology that took awhile to grasp and I'd be lying if I said that I understood the entire politics of it all, but the flawless way Marchetta writes still draws you in, throwing you right in the middle of the tragedy that you can't help but be dedicated to the story and this incredible heart wrenching journey that these characters go through.
The road is not paved smoothly but rocked by hate and pain and grief and sickness, but it's also laced with fight and passion and magic and hopes and dreams.
It's demanding, distrubing and destructive to witness, and yet through it all I turned each page with a feverish anticipated pace.

"Finn, listen!" Trevanion said, his voice raw."I prayed to see you one more time. It's all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I'll lend them west."
"We have a dilemma, then," Finnikin said fiercely. "Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mind?"

I absolutely adored each and everyone of these characters. They have so much passion, goodness, strength and courage that it's utterly infectious.
Finn is everything a hero should be, strong, compassionate, a true leader and with out a doubt one of my most beloved characters. Trevanion strenght and power is thrilling but has such a gentle grace every father should have for his son. Sir Topher guidance and loyalty is heart warming. Evanjalin is the light that leads this story and while she challenges the characters and the readers through out this entire story she's beyond a fascinating character in my eyes. Even Froi had some how weaseled his way into my affections in the end.
Each of them hold an essential to this riveting story and I found myself holding my breath every time there lives were in danger. I thought the twist in one of the characters was priceless, did not see that coming and as soon as that switch was hit the entire situation felt even more erratic, giving more weight to Finn's ultimate decision.
I loved and feared the danger, the romance and the voices that carries through out this world. It was heart breaking and breath taking and hard to stomach at times but every single word is so worth the read. You want only peace and happiness so desperately for these characters that you feel like you'd do just about anything to get it. You will be that lost when you reach those pages.

This book is so incredibly well written that I'm in shock and hate myself for not reading it sooner. I liked Marchetta's realism writing but I adore the way she pens fantasy and it's what made me a true fan of this women work.
It's astonishing; the story, the characters and the written words that will leave you on an emotional high for days to come.

Nothing I say in a review will every give this book the justice it so much deserves, so bottom line, Read.this.book! It's Epic in the greatest ways high fantasy should be written and read. One of the very best reads I every had the pleasure of experiencing.
I am in complete awe of this masterpiece.

An absolutely unbelievable read!
Bring on the sequel!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes ~Tina~ Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Finn, listen!" Trevanion said, his voice raw."I prayed to see you one more time. It's all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I'll lend them west."

"We have a dilemma, then," Finnikin said fiercely. "Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?”
Melina Marchetta, Finnikin of the Rock

Melina Marchetta
“Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.”
Melina Marchetta, Finnikin of the Rock

11/16/2010 page 1
0.0% "Okay! Lets meet this Finn...;)"
11/16/2010 page 72
18.0% "What the hell did she just do?!?!?" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arlene Yay! I hope you enjoy it!! Give Finnikin a hug for me.

~Tina~ This is really in-depth stuff. I'm gonna have to take my time with this one:)

Alexa Yes, take your time. ^^ It's not confusing like Jellicoe, but there is a lot of stuff (like the names of people & places) to keep track of.

Arlene Yes agreed lot to take in but it comes together to make a beautiful story. Happy reading Tina!

message 5: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Awesome review. I am only about 50 pages in and I agree it is a bit intimidating. I need to keep reading on....

~Tina~ At first I had to take it slow, but after a bit the storyline comes in nice and smooth.
This book is completely EPIC! Enjoy!

message 7: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic How many pages into it did you find it took for the storyline to become smooth?

Alexa Wow, if I didn't already read this book, I would read it just because of your review. I love this book so much; I'm glad you loved it as well! Awesome review! :D

Alexa @Nic: I heard some ppl say that it took them around 80 pages to really get into it.

Stefanie EEEEeeeoooo, excited to get my copy soon!! I've been giving the UPS guy threatening looks everytime he comes by.
Must. Get. Now!!!

Nomes Just popping in to say - LOVE the review.

Also, confession time: despite it be a Melina Marchetta, I didn't make it through on my first try. Epic fantasy gives me a headache, even beautifully written. i felt like such a failure abandoning this. But a few months later I gave it another go and really liked it. Thinking about doing a re-read...

Nic: it took AGES for me. I felt a little lost and unconnected, then made it WORSE by doing that skimming reading thing and confusing myself way more... I think you have to settle into a groove. it really is a pretty amazing book. I'm just a reading sloth with epic commitments like this :)

~Tina~ @ Nic- The storyline as always been interesting right from the start, it's just the getting use to names was the hard part but I would have to agree with Alexa, after the first 50-80 pgs you are HOOKED my friend.

@ Alexa- Mental note: Read everything Alexa reads;)

Stef! I can't wait for you to read this! Hope you love it!!

Nomes- I hear ya, I think I read the first two pages a few weeks before and just knew I had to mentally prepare myself for this book so I put it back on my shelf. If you stick with it long enough the pages just seem to fly of there own accord;) Pure Epic!

message 13: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Thanks Tina and Nomes. I feel better knowing that I am not the only one who struggled getting into this. I not a huge epic fantasy fan either. I still haven't read HP.

Nomes hahahaha. I thought I was about the last person who hasn't read HP! You make me feel so much better about myself :)

I read the first HP in 1998 - and surprisingly got into it. not sure why i feel no compulsion to read the rest of the series?

x

message 15: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I think you girls should drop everything and read HP.

Tina, great review, I started reading this book a few weeks ago but then I got really busy and put it on hold again.

Jessica WOW, awesome review! That book sounds amazing!

~Tina~ I agree with Kim. Nic, Nomes, reaaddddd HP!!

It's good that you put this book down Kim, it's the kind of book that demands all of your attention. Hope you like it though when you read it:)

Thanks Jess! Amazing is an understatement;)

Nomes i'm scared to read HP now. it's too late for me - i haven't even seen the movies.

so out of the looooop :)

~Tina~ I read HP when I was 28 years old and it's what started my love for reading.
That's the beauty of those books, your nevah to late;)

Arlene Wow this review is brilliant! You said everything quite perfectly and I'm not being biased because I simply adore this book!! I logged that same quote between Finninkin and Trevanion. I loved that quote!

I'm so glad you loved it. I have a passion for books like these and when I was reading Finnikin, I felt like I'd picked up a book by Cashore, which I adore as well. Marchetta is a great writer and I'll read anything she writes... and .... anything Alexa recs too BTW. ;)

~Tina~ Thanks hun, this book is just...there are no words. I noticed you wrote the same quote which is funny since I didn't notice till after I wrote mine. Great minds think a like and that quote just killed me. This is my favorite Fantasy book Evah! It beat out Cashore even though I still think she's amazing, this is the stuff that I crave in high fantasy.
So now my top three favorites are Finn, Brightly woven and Gracing. Ohhh and LOTR but that's adults;)

message 22: by AH (new) - added it

AH I have heard only good things about this book. Great review!

~Tina~ Read this hun! ^^ You wont regret it:D

message 24: by AH (new) - added it

AH Sure will, just got to get my hands on a copy.

~Tina~ w00t!!

Stefanie I finished this last night and was left speechless. It was such a hard book to review because I felt like I couldn't do it justice! I'm still recovering from the effect it had on me.
I told my mom about it after I finished last night and left it downstairs on the table to wake up to her reading it this morning since 6 am!! Lol.
Is there any word on if there's going to be a sequel? I was under the impression it was a stand alone, but I pray i'm wrong! :)

~Tina~ Nic or Alexa or one of the girls said that there was talk about a sequel. It did read like a stand alone, but I think there is still a lot of room for a new story.
I'm thrilled you loved it XD I was simply amazed by the power this book held. Incredible!

message 28: by Mayomi (new) - added it

Mayomi Awesome review Tina. Arlene recommended this book and I'm really looking forward to reading it. ;)

~Tina~ This was totally Epic! I hope you love Finn as much as we did:)

message 30: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I finally started reading this book today ^^

~Tina~ w0000t!! Hug Finn for me!!

Amber Aw, I love when you get all fired up for a book! I think I may start this yet tonight. ;)

~Tina~ I hope you like it hun. Word of advice? Take this one slow and steady, it's very very very detailed stuff. But don't let it scare ya, it's absolutely brilliant!! Happy Reading!

Amber Thanks for the heads-up. I have my notebook handy :) Thanks Teeny!

~Tina~ LOL! I use a notebook as well. Every time I read high fantasy. It's hard to remember so many names and place. The politics always kills me the most though O.o

Amber fyi, 3 pages of notes!!!!

~Tina~ LOL!! Good gawd women, you've got some sorting to do.

Basuhi (is back and reading again) This book was great.
I just finished and I'm not sure if I like this as good as her contemporaries but it still was brilliant. Looking for ward to see, where this goes.