Raymond's Reviews > A Place of Hiding

A Place of Hiding by Elizabeth  George

Dec 22, 2009

bookshelves: mystery-adventure
Recommended for: Penny Duane, Kathi Hale, Gloria Gilmartin, everybody who like a good, near great, read.
Read in December, 2009 , read count: 2

As I began reading a Place of Hiding, I realized that I’d read the book a few years before. Knowing who did the crime gave me the chance to explore the story in ways other than as an armchair Sherlock. I was not disappointed. As much as I remember appreciating the book the first time through, I don’t think it compares with my appreciation for the book this time through.

The first time through, I only noted the wonderful depictions of some of the minor and even major characters and their relationships with each other.

First, there are Deborah and Simon St. James, sometimes-minor characters in Ms. George’s Inspector Lynley Series. This time out, they are in the center of the action, trying to find out the truth about the death of Guy Brouard and at the same time, trying to adapt to each other’s insecurities in their relationship.

There are five or six explorations of the relationships between parents and children and brothers and sisters. There are explorations of that ephemeral thing call “friendship.”

Some of the more fascinating characters are Frank Ouseley and his goal driven father, Graham.

Margaret Chamberlain, long divorced wife of the victim and their son Adrian Brouard are locked in an odd battle where she seems more concerned about his inheritance rights than she does.

China and Cherokee Rivers, American and half-siblings caught in a web of murder and intrigue.

There is, too, the question of what is the exact nature of the relationship between Guy Brouard and teenager, Paul Fielder and why the museum that had been promised to be built to commemorate the victims of the War on the island is suddenly endangered.

What part does Ruth Brouard, the sister dying of cancer play in the estate left by Guy?

Woven in among all these are other dreams and relationships shattered by Guy’s death.

Ah, but the second tasting of the book is even more delectable than the first.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place of Hiding.

message 1: by kathi (new)

kathi I trust your judgement so the book is marked "to read"