Jacki's Reviews > Sword of Avalon

Sword of Avalon by Diana L. Paxson

1919428
Dec 04, 2009

Read on March 24, 2010

When reading the Avalon series in chronological order (rather than date of publication) Sword of Avalon is the third book in the series. Set many years after Ancestors of Avalon, this book begins to create a stronger connection between the individuals of Atlantis and those of King Arthur's time. The characters within this book are still aware of their descendancy from Atlantis and that their ways are a mingling of Atlantean beliefs and the ways of the people of the Mighty Isle.

This story brings us the first defender of the Mighty Isle, the first Son of a Hundred Kings needed to unite the tribes and bring peace to the land. The Lady of Avalon forsees his destiny, as well as the creation of a Sword of the Stars, which will be his weapon and symbol of sovereignty.

Of the first books in the series, this is my favorite. I truly connected to the main characters, finding myself weeping in the end. The creation of Excalibur, through the merging of self with Divine, was a powerful scene which I am likely to never forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of Avalon.