Kate's Reviews > Lakota Woman

Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog

Dec 04, 09

This autobiography is a really cool window into Native American life, particularly the AIM movement, in the 1970s. It makes me crazy that the only Native American history we're taught in school ends after we learn about westward expansion. There are still Native Americans, they still have lives, and they're still getting dumped on a lot of the time. This book puts it in perspective a little bit.

Also, Mary Crow Dog was involved in two of the biggest AIM events of the 1970s the occupation of the BIA building in Washington and the occupation of Wounded Knee. These are events that I just learned about a few months ago from a PBS special and getting an insider view was really enlightening.

My only criticism, the book isn't really set up in chronological order so I found myself having to go back a lot to try and remember who people were, how they were related, and when things were happening in time. Also the writing isn't very 'literary' but it's easy to get past this though because the information is so interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lakota Woman.