Kellie's Reviews > Prairie Tale

Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert

Dec 09, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-reads, autobiography-biography-memoir, non-fiction

This is the 3rd Hollywood autobiography I’ve read this past month. It makes me wonder, what childhood actress didn’t do drugs? Didn’t have dysfunctional childhoods? Didn’t have insecurity? I have yet to read about one. Maybe Tori Spelling had a better childhood. I don't know. I haven’t read her book yet.

Out of the 3 autobiographies, this was the best one. The writing was more intelligent. The organization was better. It was overall more engaging than Valerie’s or MacKenzie’s. Melissa was adopted. Her adoptive parents split up when she was still a young child. She had close relationships with many Hollywood stars including Michael Landon who Melissa says was like a father to her. She dated Rob Lowe off and on for several years. She hob nobbed with many stars. She is currently on her second marriage and has 2 children and 2 step children with her current husband.

As an adult, she seems to have pulled her life back together after dysfunctional relationships, substance abuse and emotional rollercoasters. I really enjoyed this and I commend her for her writing talent. I highly recommend this, especially if you grew up watching her in Little House on the Prairie.

At the end in the Acknowledgement section, Melissa has a list of potential titles of the book. Here are some I thought were pretty funny

Nellie's not a bitch, Mary Is
The Highs and the Lowes
Half Pint Fully Loaded
Half Pint a day
Melissa Gilbert from Pigtails to Politics
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prairie Tale.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I always love seeing what bios/memoirs you add to your list, Kellie. :)

I think I'd like to read this one, as well.

Kellie This is my vice.
I love to read hollywood Autobiographies...Especially about actors/actresses that were popular when I was a kid!

Heidi I've got to read this... I adored Little House and being the same age as Gilbert, I can totally relate to the time period she grew up in (and surrounded by cameras-- something most of us didn't deal with of course).

Will have to add it to my list... thanks for the great review!