Edna Lyn's Reviews > Blaze of Memory

Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh

Dec 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009, paranormal-romance
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** What a change of pace from book 6! Katya and Dev, gosh it was a rollercoaster with these two. I actually had trouble warming up to the pairing until the second half of the book. Those last chapters had me tearing up but they really sealed the deal for me.

More history of Silence and the Forgotten. I liked the outside POV provided by Zarina's letters (pretty interesting to read a little on the Adelaja's). It was nice hearing about the first rebels as well. And then on the more recent family history of Dev... Massey and Sarita, holy cow that was sad and tragic. It was a double punch to see that he and Katya mirrored that in a way.

The kids! They know how to make me smile and tug at my heart. Jon with Noor saying she's marrying Keenan and she spilling the beans that he likes Rina. Good stuff. Then Judd and Noor. It was an cool twist to have a similarity like the 'weaving'. Additionally Noor and Keenan's gifts when put together...amazing. Then there was also William and Judd. How much more can I love that guy? Guh.

While on the topic of Judd, he really does have the best connections. That scene with him, Xavier (heartbreaking background story), and the Ghost is so captivating. Can I get a book based just on them? Goodness knows it'd be a great read.

And lastly I'd like to mention Vasic. I don't care, I think he has a lot of potential. Please let him have a book. LOL. Been curious about him since book 5.

3.5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Memory.

12/04/2009 "Chapter 23. Judd <3"
12/06/2009 "Pride and Prejudice!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Edna Lyn "Judd Lauren, Psy rebel, former assassin, and fucking dangerous son of a bitch according to all who knew him, looked mystified at the little girl who was staring up at him, all huge eyes in a heartshaped face."

ahhhh! My gosh that super short chapter was too fucking cute!

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami *lol* isn't that paragraph ♥?? our Judd :). how do you think of the book so far?

Edna Lyn I just loved that whole chapter...the way Judd had no idea what to do with Noor and how he desperately wanted Dorian to come out and rescue him. LMAO! He's still learning and growing, I love it.

Edna Lyn Lol, I forgot about your other question. I'm liking it so far. It's such a different feel from book 6 like you told me. I'm enjoying the Psy subplots a lot. At the moment I'd say it's around a 4 star-ish rating.

message 5: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Well, I see that you finish. See what I meant about this book being different? The last chapters when Katya told Dev to let her go, I lose it. I just sobbed during the time when Dev told everyone that "Tomorrow morning", he would do it. He would let her go. So heartbreaking. And the roadtrip the two took to Sunshine, it felt alone, but oh so beautiful. Like a movie with just two of them, you know?

I think we will get book of Vasic (I think). But I'm not sure about the Ghost. I mean, if the Ghost is Kaleb, which is my theory, there is impossible to get a book about him now.

Judd is always love *sigh*

Edna Lyn Ami wrote: "Well, I see that you finish. See what I meant about this book being different?"

Yep I do! It threw me off honeslty even though you did warn me. In your review you nailed it, it was "quieter". I think I was still riding on a high for the last book with the strong personalities and playfulness between Riley and Mercy. It took me longer to get into Dev and Katya. Those emotional chapters, whoa. I needed a tissue.

Did you read a tip that there might be a Vasic book? And the Ghost, well I just made that comment because I love that subplot of the rebellion and the help from Xavier and Judd. To me, it seems very certain that Kaleb is the Ghost. I'd be very surprise if it turned out to be someone else.

message 7: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Did you read a tip that there might be a Vasic book?

Not really, no. But then again, he seemed to get better part in book #7 so we never know. Hey, who knows, he might be the one hooking up with Indigo (book #9).

Those emotional chapters, whoa. I needed a tissue.
Yes, so emotional. I get my eyes all teary because I can imagine Dev's pain and helplessness. He is not a Psy nor Changeling ...

Edna Lyn I heard that Indigo has changeling mate. I was wondering if it's a raven since she tweeted about research regarding wolves and ravens for book 9 not too long ago.

I have a weakness for changelings (wolves + a coldblooded psy, hah). Before book 7 I was a little turned off by humans (why thank you Talin) so I was already somewhat biased going into the book. To be quite honest, I'm not sure about Max's story. I actually forgot who he was when I first heard about the book. LOL. I am looking forward to the continuing plot of with the Psy (council/silence/rebellion). Plus some perspectve on J-Psy.

message 9: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I actually are intrigued with Max. I know he appeared in that one book where humans turn us off (yes, thank you Talin *g*) but he's a cop and well, I have soft spot with stories with cop/detective as the main hero. Why do you think I prefer romantic suspense *lol*. So I'm VERY intrigued with Max. AND, he's a true human. I wonder how he will protect his woman. Unlike Dev, who has a little bit Psy power in him

Edna Lyn I liked him well enough as a secondary character. I haven't been into romantic suspense in a while and I think Linda Howard was the only author I ever read. But you know, I will try to keep an open mind. If it turns out to be a dud for me, at least I'm that much closer to Hawke's story.

message 11: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami If it turns out to be a dud for me, at least I'm that much closer to Hawke's story.

Truer words, that is :). I read a number of romantic suspense. Also detective/thriller stories. I even like watching all those police procedural shows. So yeah, I have soft spot to detectives :)