Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Dec 24, 09

bookshelves: ya, sci-fi, favorites, own
Read in December, 2009

The Adoration of Jenna Fox was so different from what I expected. It’s the story of a seventeen year old girl named Jenna Fox. Jenna has been in a coma for the past year and when she wakes up, she remembers nearly nothing. All her memories about history and facts are there, but she doesn’t remember herself, her family, her friends, or anything personal. What follows is Jenna’s search for herself and what truly makes a person a person.

I wasn’t really sure how I felt about this book for the first 40 pages or so, but once I got to know Jenna a little more, I was completely engrossed. The story really makes the reader question the ethics surrounding life and death and how far is too far. The characters are developed nicely and even though you only truly get to know Jenna, you know enough about everyone else for the story to work perfectly. The medical aspect of it is quite interesting and almost terrifying when I really thought about it.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox is a heavy read. It was gripping and intensely emotional. After those first 40 pages or so, it was more than difficult to put the book down. Mary E. Pearson's writing style is very unique and I found it almost poetic at times. Here, she presents a haunting take on the devotion of a family to their only daughter. Jenna’s need to find herself will take the reader on a journey about identity, family, and the choices we make.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adoration of Jenna Fox.

12/22/2009 page 47