Roberta's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: could-not-finish
Read in December, 2009

It's somewhat difficult to explain exactly why I hated this book so much (I think I would have been less disappointed if I realized when I started that it's supposed to be modeled on a Shakesperian tragedy -- then I wouldn't have been so surpised when the book took such a sharp turn half way through -- which for a book this long is a major commitment to a different type of story). It starts off as a well paced farm story in I believe Wisconsin -- focusing on easy to relate to characters and a story line based on the ups and downs of daily life. Then someone dies and the characters/plot line stay consistent for a bit. Then the whole book turns more and more tragic, mystical, and dark and all of the sudden the characters are doing things that are completely disconnected from anything they would have done in the first maybe 250 pages. It's page after page of a very false seeming dark existence -- I couldn't relate to the story, I couldn't relate to the characters, and none of it made sense with the first half of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.