Christopher's Reviews > The Boxcar Children

Dec 08, 09

bookshelves: paper-back-series-books
Read in November, 2009

3rd - 5th grade

I gave this book three stars because the episodic chapters are very good for transitional readers. The pages have 21 lines of text. The sentences vary in length from 4 to 25 words. The sentence structure is more complex because of the use of commas and dialogue. But the subject matter is not so far beyond a transitional reader that they won't be able to relate to or understand the story. There is not much conflict in the story, at least it isn't felt directly while reading. Each chapter ends with a sort of happy ending that the story loses its sense of danger that the boxcar children face. There is lot of use of imagery to help drive the story, because of the lack of pictures. But there are a few pictures that help to give the reader a break every now and then. The font size is 18 point.

Language Arts/Science/Home Economics

Lesson Plan: I would use this book as a lesson in how to run a household. The boxcar children get by with the very basics and I would like to illustrate how the boxcar children run the house they've created.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boxcar Children.