Jelinas's Reviews > One False Note

One False Note by Gordon Korman

Dec 10, 09

Read in December, 2009

I firmly believe that writing for kids should still reflect good writing.

Just because they're kids doesn't mean that you should throw in a bunch of explosions or fighting to keep them interested. No, I believe that children, like adults, learn how to write from what they read. I'm not just talking about grammar, here. I'm talking about style, descriptions, expression -- the whole shebangbang.

And the better the writing is now, the better it will be in the future, when today's kids grow up and write books of their own.

This is why I'm so disappointed with this book. Gordon Korman wrote This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall when he was only twelve -- it was published when he was fourteen. The Bruno & Boots series was full of fun and energy -- I wanted to move to Canada and attend Miss Scrimmage's Finishing School for Young Ladies so that I could engage in shenanigans with the boys at McDonald Hall. His characters were believable and had a lot of depth under all the fun.

How can it be that Korman's writing got worse as he got older?

After reading The Maze of Bones, the only things that made me read the second book in the series were that: A. my nine-year-old buddy BN was looking forward to lending it to me, and B. the second book was written by Gordon Korman. I figured that if anyone could rescue this series from a crappy second installment, it was Korman.

I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

The second installment in the series takes the kids from France to Austria to Italy. This time, they're chasing Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. We get a lot of nice Mozart factoids along the way, but I'm dubious as to the accuracy of some of them. For example, the book claims that Mozart had a twin sister. He did have a sister, but they weren't twins. What's up with that, Korman?

But my biggest beef with this volume wasn't the inaccuracies. It was the lack of style.

Maybe it's because he was given such crappy characters to work with in the first place, but the book was just as two-dimensional as its predecessor. I guess I was expecting too much -- if Korman read Rick Riordan's installment and then tried to copy his (flat) style, then he did too good a job. Korman, sometimes, it's okay to turn down a job.

Really, the only thing One False Note really does is get the Cahill kids from France to Italy, from whence they will fly off to Japan. *sigh*

Man, I miss Ellen Raskin so much.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One False Note.

12/03/2009 page 14