Kit's Reviews > The Confessions of Max Tivoli

The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer

Dec 03, 2009

did not like it
Read in November, 2009

OK, terrible book. I chose not to see the movie Benjamin Button because I knew I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to manage the premise. So, I should have known this was not the book for me; the whole concept of reverse aging made my brain hurt.

I'll tell you another thing that made my brain hurt: the writing of Andrew Sean Greer! I've not read anything else of his, and after reading Max Tivoli, I know I'll NEVER read anything else. The only reason I finished this one is because I only read it in bed before turning out the lights, and I was too lazy to get back up and find something that wasn't already on my bed table.

This book felt like it could have been written by a Victorian era Presbyterian minister; it was quaint (and I don't mean that in a positive way). His adjectives were repetitious and saccharin, and his characters not authentic. I would have given this a zero, but it wasn't an option. Shame on me for wasting valuable reading time that I'll never get back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Max Tivoli.

message 1: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Oh man! Tell us how you really feel! Genius and hilarious review!