Ben's Reviews > Witches Abroad

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Dec 22, 09

Read in December, 2009

Terry Pratchett's books grow on you. At first you'll focus on the characters and the plot -- and they're perfectly well executed -- but you're likely to point out that his numerous asides and meticulously set-up punchlines seem to take you away from plunging fully into the story. At about that time that you've finished one of his books, though, you have started to realize that there is an entire and consistent meta-narrative, and that the asides may be removed from the plot, but are very much the fabric of the charming and, I have to say, smart world of Discworld that the author is playing in.

Put another way, as I plough into my third (fourth, I think?) Discworld book, you're not so much reading a story as getting to watch a brilliant and charming man play with the toys of story, world, language, and people. And this he does well. It's smart light reading, or light smart reading, after the fine tradition of Douglas Adams, Vonnegut, et al.

To move to the particular, this is the second of I think three books that focus on a motley coven of three witches. There were parts of the story (mirrors!) that were striking and stronger than the first book, but other parts stretched more thin, making the first book (Wyrd Sisters) a stronger cohesive whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches Abroad.