Raina's Reviews > Brutal

Dec 03, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: didn-t-finish, realistic, ya
Read in December, 2009

Only got 13 pages into this. Stopped shortly after the appearance of the overly clownish hick (complete with detailed announcements of his defecation plans). I found the protagonist overly-aware of her otherness (she describes herself as a "counterculture being") and thus, not believable. The snark was too contrived. I was thinking it might be a fun remix of Beige by Cecil Castelucci, but just read that instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brutal.

Jackie "the Librarian" I will avoid! Thanks for the warning, Raina.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Forbes that review was brutal

Raina Scott wrote: "that review was brutal"

I gotta meet my quota of bad reviews to be allowed to read good books.

message 4: by Jordyn (new) - added it

Jordyn Honestly, unless you have read a book all the way through, you can't exactly review a book. You only got 13 pages through it so there's no actual way for you to actually understand what the book is about and learn the writing style of it. Before you go and negatively review a book, read it all the way through so you can have an opinion that is relevant. I'm talking about all books you decide to read, not just this one.

Raina I hear this, and absolutely would have finished it - if I'd been reviewing this in a professional source.
I use Goodreads as more of a personal reading journal, which happens to be shared with the world. In this case, it's more-or-less notes to myself as to why I didn't finish it. :)

Brianna Brown You really should have given this book another chance.

Raina Maybe I will someday!
I just recommended it to a kid who was looking for this type of book today.