Jacob's Reviews > Somewhere In Time

Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson

Jan 06, 16

bookshelves: books_from_dad, fantasy, classic, movie_or_tv, own
Read in January, 2010

I'm somewhat inclined to favor this book: the female love interest in the book is modeled after my near-ancestor, and it takes place in San Diego, a location close to my heart.

Richard Matheson is a very good writer, though, particularly when writing from the first person perspective. You can understand the protagonist's thoughts and actions, even when they are clearly making a mistake (this excellent first person perspective was also present in _I Am Legend_). This is mostly a love story involving some time travel, but I have to say I liked it better than _The Time Traveler's Wife_. A large part of this is because I understood the main character himself, and have had many of the same emotions regarding longing for my true love, being excited just to remain in her presence, and not being able to stand the time when we are apart. Fortunately, I didn't have to travel in time to get the woman of my dreams. But I'm pretty sure I feel the same way.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere In Time.

message 1: by Mary E (new)

Mary E You can't go wrong reading the classic authors. Wasn't this made into a TV movie starring Christopher Reeves? If so, I saw it and wasn't impressed, but I can imagine how much better the book must be.

Jacob Yes, it was that movie. Although I haven't seen it, I know the movie is at least a little different from the book. I can see how it wouldn't translate well into a movie, since one of the strengths of the book is the first person perspective where you know exactly what the main character is thinking.

Funny thing, though: this book's original title was "Bid Time Return," a Shakespeare quote. After the movie came out and was a hit, the book was retitled "Somewhere In Time" to match the movie's title.

This author, Richard Matheson, also wrote the books behind the movies I Am Legend and What Dreams May Come.

message 3: by Leslie (last edited Jan 18, 2010 01:57PM) (new)

Leslie Mary E wrote: "You can't go wrong reading the classic authors. Wasn't this made into a TV movie starring Christopher Reeves? If so, I saw it and wasn't impressed, but I can imagine how much better the book must be."

Mom, I remember seeing it too and I'm pretty sure it was with you and Tracy. I remember it was kind of boring, but kind of neat, too. I mostly remember the music -- remember that rhapsody they just kept playing over and over?! Jake and I are planning on renting it and I'll probably give the book another try (admittedly, I already tried but it started out so slow and boring I gave up, which is extremely rare for me. After hearing what Jake had to say, though, I'm definitely willing to push through that to get to the good stuff!).

message 4: by Mary E (new)

Mary E I remember seeing Vincent Price in I Am Legend. I had read the book years before and recognized it instantly.