Carla's Reviews > Struts & Frets

Struts & Frets by Jon Skovron

Feb 03, 10

Read in December, 2009

It seems quite fitting to for my first review of 2010 to be of the last YA book I read in 2009. To put it lightly, I friggin loved this book, I even named by brand spanking new laptop "Macbook Sammy". I've only ever read one YA music book, which was so funny and unique, I went into reading this book quite guarded, I never expected to like it nearly as much as I did. Jon Skovron has this way with words that seems so real and raw, the openness of the writing style is heart breakingly beautiful, yet very humorous at the same time.

Sammy Bojar is going to be a musician, he has everything he needs to make his dream come true; he can write songs, play the guitar and a band. But Sammy is still struggling to find his place in this so called band as well as in life. Throughout the story, he struggles with uncooperative band mates, his friends and worst of all his family, all while trying to get ready for Battle of the Bands, where his future as a musician may be determined. Music is at the heart of the story and man, Sammy has some cracking taste in music. I may have a crush on him or his music preferences, I haven’t quite decided yet, the jury's still out.

Skovron shows in this beautiful story how much your passion for something can influence your life. Through Sammy he shows that even if you choose not to take the easiest path in life, as long as your doing something you love, you will be happy. I loved following Sammy's journey through learning that maybe being a musician is something his family may not want for him, or watching him struggle with his feelings towards Jen5, his best friend.

The main story was the music, peppered with little song lyrics and song references by Sammy, I felt immediately drawn to him as a character, because he just felt too real. Plus it helps that the guy was so funny, I laughed until my sides hurt. He acted like any boy would, but it felt more lifelike because a male had written the character, not a female, and it really benefit’s a story when you know what your character will be feeling and how they would be acting, because you know, you’ve been there in one way or another.

I loved how his grandfather was wound into the storyline, because it didn’t distract from the story, more like helped carry it to the end. I loved how Sammy got his passion and musical abilities from his musician grandfather. This was pivotal to the story, because it draws you in, holding you in an emotional vice. Plus, it helped that the story was such an easy one to follow, nothing too far fetched happened, it as just a true representation of a teenage boy struggling to find his way in the world. And, yes, this book so rocked the male protagonist. I can't wait to see what Skovron has up his sleeve for his next book. Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Struts & Frets.

12/22/2009 page 41
14.19% "Further proof that I love everyone called Sam, this is a winner already."