Chrissie's Reviews > Vivaldi's Virgins

Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick

Dec 03, 2009

bookshelves: art, hf, italy, fluff, maybe

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vivaldi's Virgins.

message 1: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne Hmm... I just saw at on the shelf at the library and picked it up pending further investigation. It sounds like it can go back unread, although the premise sounds interesting.

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 03, 2009 12:33AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie This is on the advice of Lee. I haven't read it - it is just that I must buy books. You can begin it and return it to the library ;0). She saud it was fluff that she didn't even finish and returned to the library. There is so much that has to be read! I was actually thinking of you when I shelved it in this manner!

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee Lynne and Chrissie,
I think I wanted this to be good. I wanted to like it because it sounded interesting but it didn't live up to my expectations. Either one of you may like it though. I just read through a few of the reviews and obviously it appealed to quite a few people. I wish I could remember more but that's all I can tell you.

Jennifer (JC-S) Hi there Lee, Lynne and Chrissie

I am one of those who enjoyed this novel. Largely because I knew very little about Vivaldi and this novel got me interested in him.

message 5: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 03, 2009 02:28AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie This is typical - I spend way to long analyzing whether to read a book! What is also unsurprising is that none of us can agree about this book. Even among friends with similar interests, what appeals to one doesn't always appeal to another. Enjoyment has so many different components. I could put so many questions, but I will try and control myself :0). Just to be clear, the reason why I have a shelf don't read is b/c if I think a book will appeal to me in the future, I do not want to have to go through the research AGAIN! I tend to forget. Furthermore I cannot test a book at a library so I must be picky. And time is limited.

Jennifer, you liked this book, so let me ask you: According to Kirkus, Vivaldi is rarely even on the scene so you simply cannot learn much about his life. Do you agree? From reading the reviews, the author DOES bring Venice of the 1700s and Carnaval festivities alive with much accurate detail. The third "element " of the novel seems to be the mystery of the girtl's parentage. Jennifer, how would you weigh the importance of these three elements? Also I am guessing this could be a YA novel or perhaps a good light read. If you have the time I would appreciate your opinions. Jennifer I am really glad you joined the discussion! I like to hear all points of view.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee It's so funny that Jennifer piped in because I was just about to say that I know she enjoyed the book and gave it four stars. I usually agree with her ratings almost 100% so maybe I should just clear off and shut up LOL!

message 7: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 03, 2009 04:16AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie Lee, One can never be sure whether to read a book or not. Then there is the question of what mood you are in when you read a book...... Even sometimes when you look at the total score for a book, nothing makes sense. One would tend to think that a book with a 4 or above and lots of people have read it OUGHT to be good. In fact often these don't work for me either. I am thinking of the Harry Potter books. I will say one thing, you sure knew me well enough to pick that super - The Seamstress!

Jennifer (JC-S) Hey Lee, it's wonderful that we have similar views much of the time and terrific that we don't sometimes. If we agreed all the time, others might think that we are the same person .

Jennifer (JC-S) Hey Chrissie, I agree that Vivaldi is largely off-stage during this novel. I have listened to his music for years and never explored his life and times so when I read this novel the entire setting was new to me. And interesting. I probably shouldn't admit that the girls (and their parentage) was less important to me than the setting.
So, of the three elements you mention, the second was the most interesting - as presented in the novel.
I suspect I would not have been interested in the novel without the Vivaldi 'hook'.
You comment elsewhere on the scores for books. I'd agree that a 4 or above should be a reasonable indicator. The problem is (I think) that few of us measure a 4 in the same way.
Book enjoyment is such a quirky thing: I read 'Vile Bodies' the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yet I know that on a different day and in a different mood my enjoyment would have been far more subdued.

message 10: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Jennifer, I too have listened to Vivaldi for ages? I adore the Four Seasons best. Like you I was curious to read more about him and his world. First I saw the book The Four Seasons A Novel of Vivaldi's Venice. My Mom read it and she said it was total fluff. So I went on looking. I think what appealed to you about this book is the element that would most appeal to me too - the setting.However, I do not have to run and read this book now. I have tons to read due to GR. God I love it. However I want a book that gives me BOTH the setting and infor about Vivaldi's life. It is like so often with other books - you want a book to be about a particular subject but it really doesn't fit the bill. I will move this to my maybe shelf and note that I should only read this if it is enough to djust learn about the setting. The plot line for me will be insignificant. AND DEFINITELY, one's mood has a huge impact on how you feel about a book. I have noted that at Christmas, when things are terribly hectic, my mind is totally scatter-brained and I usually dislike whatever I read. I try and pick very, very light books for Xmas reading. I hope you are doing OK. Thanks for your advice!