Julie S.'s Reviews > Forever

Forever by Judy Blume

Dec 02, 2009

did not like it
Recommended for: no one

** spoiler alert ** One day (around age 12) I read this because I was feeling nostalgic for Judy Blume (I loved Blume's books when I was a young girl). I thought that this book would give me a return to those "good old days." Wrong. This book was definitely not a child's book. There was way too much sexual content-not to mention the name Ralph is forever ruined for me.

I feel that Blume did a poor job on this book, and she lost my respect. I am officially getting rid of all my Blume books. You may say that I'm overreacting, but I think I'm being reasonable. It's my choice. This book was awful. It was not simply the random, graphic sex that ruined it. The characters were dull, flat, and unbelievable. The storyline was dated. The boy in a romance is usually a guy that the reader would not mind being with, but honestly I want to punch Michael in the face. Blume used odd sentence structures that sometimes confused me, but at other times, I felt like a young child could write something better. Overall, this book was HORRIBLE!

While I would not recommend it to anyone, I don't regret reading it. In my sophomore year of high school, I was sitting with my friends, and a friend of a friend joined us. She was talking to someone else at the table and said something that referenced this book. I looked up at her in amazement and said, "You read Forever, too?" She nodded, and we spent a fairly good chunk of time making fun of it. Now she's a pretty good friend of mine, and it's funny to think that we bonded over our common dislike of this awful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.