Anila's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

May 14, 14

bookshelves: not-for-the-sensitive, reviewed, space-ain-t-pretty
Read from September 15 to 22, 2010

Looking back on this book, I can no longer let my previous rating and review stand. I haven't read it recently enough to re-review, but I recommend this chapter-by-chapter deconstruction for a bit of light reading - in particular, the writer's points about protagonist-centered morality and the weird gender dynamics in this book are obvious to me in retrospect and merit the loss of yet another star.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Arya This is a GREAT book! I know I seem to say that about a lot of books, but this one is really something special!

Anila I've heard that from so many people; you have no idea. Really, I should have read this a while ago, but I just keep not getting around to it...

Arya How are you liking it - I see it is under current! YAY!! I love this book . . . hope you enjoy!

Anila I haven't had much time to read lately- or rather, I should say that I haven't MADE much time to read lately. However, I'm hoping to use it for my AP Literature and Composition project- an analysis of gender in dystopian science fiction centered around The Handmaid's Tale- so it will become a priority as soon as I clear away major AP Bio and AP French projects- and finish Poisonwood Bible for Lit.

So far, the concept is interesting; I'd really like a map; the writing hasn't shown itself as anything special and the plot has yet to really develop. I'm only forty-some pages in, though.

message 5: by Arya (last edited Sep 18, 2010 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya I think you will like it (wow you have been busy - AP is ATTACKING you!!) I certainly loved it. It is a very interesting book and one of my favorite dystopian reads.

Anila I hope so- I plan to spend some quality time with it tomorrow, if I finish my reading for Bio and Lit first. From what I've heard, the momentum should make it easy to finish; I'm really hopeful that it turns out to be something I can use, because I want to do at least three novels and I have the other two picked out, but I'm just not sure what will end up the third... anyhow.
(Yes. Yes it is. And in the spring I pick up Gov, so you can expect very few reviews from me if I have any common sense at all.)

message 7: by Arya (last edited Sep 19, 2010 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Busy busy busy . . . well I guess I will see just how much common sense you have!! LOL!

Arya *high five* Cinna is my favorite character too! LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE him! He is a genius and so nice. . .BTW he does show up later (see Catching Fire). All of your points were valid (especially the one about Katniss being "zen-like" and "calculating"). If there was only one word I could pick to describe Katniss it would either be "calculating" or "un-trusting". I think (for me at least) that the best book to see Katniss's character develop (and I use that word in the loosest sense) was Catching Fire. She had to make some hard decisions and it was cool to see her inner struggle instead of the stoney maiden.

I hope you'll read the rest of the series! Have you decided for sure whether you're going to use it for school?

Wheew, just read through my comment and I went parenthesis CRAZY!! Oh well . . . . sometimes I use the (-) sign instead, but I think I'll just leave them as is, it is not HORRIBLE, just vaguely annoying to have to wade through so many parenthesis . . . sorry! :D

Anila I definitely will read the rest- especially if Katniss gets some character development. She does need it- she was kinda flat in this one, but I have hopes for the future.
And if Cinna shows up later I will absolutely read Catching Fire! *huggles Cinna*

I dunno if I can use it for my project- I might be able to incorporate it, but it'll be a minor aspect instead of one of the main three books in my analysis.

I don't mind the parenthesis, really. They get the point across, and that's what matters.

message 10: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Katniss doesn't get that much character development, but you do get to see inside her mind a little more. Cinna is definitely in Catching Fire *squeals in glee*. I just ADORE him!!

Anila Anything more than what we got in the first is good...
Ooh, now I'm really looking forward to it. *rubs hands together* Should be able to get it through my school- after I finish this project, though. Until then I have to focus on The Handmaid's Tale and Epitaph Road. But I will read CF and Mockingjay before the end of the semester.

message 12: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya YAY!! Hope you like them! :D

message 13: by Kiki (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiki Awesome review as always, Anila. You make a ton of excellent points. I wasn't 100% thrilled by this book; partly because everyone told me it was an action-packed rollercoaster ride, but when I got to it I found the first 170 pages to be heinously boring.

One thing I have to say is that the plot is not original. See: Battle Royale

Alpinepath " If they grew up in the Seam, they might be like her- but she resents them, not the Capitol society that created them"

Hi, I'm not sure whether you noticed later on, but in the second or third book Katniss actually thinks of how she's fond of Cinna's assitants, Venia and whatever (I loved Cinna too, btw), and thinks of how it's the Capital that's made them the way they are. So that it was the Capital to be blamed, not them. I remember this coz I was pleased with her noting this at the time. Otherwise, I'd have found lack with her perception in this regard as well. :)

Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) Anila, you're not the only one who's not bothered by "children" killing each other. Teenages dying doesn't make me blink an eye, maybe it's because of jason and michael meyers or maybe it's just because that kind of thing isn't heartbreaking. Kira does have a point, the plot isn't original, chances are hungergames got this from a similair(but far far FAR better, from what i've heard and saw :)) novel called battle royale. :)

Anila Dood, there's, like, comments here and I had no idea.

Kira, thank you. Before I wrote this I had not heard about Battle Royale in more than a brief, vague mention; now it's on my TRL.

Alpinepath, I haven't read the second or third books yet, so I didn't know that. Good to know she grows up a bit.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa I'm always glad to find someone else who wasn't blown away by this book because it makes me feel less guilty for only rating it three stars. I, too, plan on finishing the series because it was still a good book, but it just didn't touch me the way it touched others.

message 18: by Delaney (new)

Delaney With all the hype I promised I wouldn't read this book unitl it dies down or until I feel like. And guess what? I just watched the movie and I was really confused and everything you said. Yes that doesn't count as the book but still, people, really?

message 19: by Jocelyn (last edited Oct 27, 2012 10:45AM) (new) - added it

Jocelyn O.

I thought no one agreed with me! I thought I was crazy when people looked at me funny when I said HG wasn't as good as people made it sound. I agree with everything you said--especially how hard it was to connect with Katniss, as well as the lack of detail, imagery, and wacky pacing of the book.

Now I know that I am not alone. Thanks.