Stephanie 's Reviews > The Lacuna

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Jun 27, 10

bookshelves: bees, 2010
Read from May 31 to June 27, 2010

I wanted to fall in LOVE with this book, but reading it was like walking on a treadmill...I just kept reading and reading but felt like I was getting nowhere. This book took me almost one month of on-and-off reading to finish, which is a rare thing for me. I had very high expectations for this novel for a few reasons:

1.) The Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer are two of my favorite books EVER and I also loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life...all by Kingsolver.

2.) I lived in Mexico during two of my college years and spent time in some of the places mentioned, particularly at the end of the novel: Mérida (the city I lived in), Valladolid, Isla Mujeres, etc.

3.) I am obsessed with the history of Mexico, including the lives of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and the tumultuous years they spent together, the indigenous Aztec and Mayan tribes, and the effects of the existence of communist support in the country.

4.) I teach Spanish and am always looking for new books about Spanish-speaking countries or books by Spanish-speaking authors to recommend to my high school students.

Even with all of these reasons for excitement, the book just did not entertain me as a reader. Kingsolver obviously spent a great deal of time on her research and her Spanish slang and sayings were spot on, but the story just didn't suck me in. This book didn't even seem like something she had written.

I was extremely disappointed, but will continue to read her books because of the three I mentioned in this "review."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lacuna.

06/07/2010 page 146
06/16/2010 page 299
59.0% "I want to like this book more than I actually am, although I love the history."
06/23/2010 page 360
71.0% "Yawn...but I am getting there. Interesting story in spots, but just not holding me..."
show 3 hidden updates…