Candice's Reviews > The Christmas Mystery

Dec 02, 2009

Recommended to Candice by: serendipity
Recommended for: Ellen
Read in December, 2009 , read count: 1

I came across this on the library shelf when I was gathering books to put on our Christmas book display. I noticed it was by Jostein Gaarder, the author of Sophie's World and it looked so intriguing. I read it straight through, but I think it would be more fun to read it day by day starting on December 1 and use it as a literary version of an Advent Calendar. Like Sophie's Worldthis was a multi-layered story. It was the story of a young Norwegian boy, Joachim, who finds a mysterious Advent Calendar in a bookshop. The calendar itself tells a story, and there are also stories of a mysterious flower seller and of a young girl who went missing in 1948. Joachim is drawn into the calendar from the start and soon his parents are, too. It would be an excellent addition to someone's Christmas tradition. Although the story can be understood by children, I think they would have to be at least 8 or 9. But what a nice way to have the whole family together for a few minutes a day each December.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Mystery.